Save from Scrap ?

locomad2

Prehaps the wrong area to post, but here goes. Over the years I've collected a few wrecks, bits models, spares etc from toy fairs/ model shows in the view of either restoring them or scraping them for the parts, mainly for wheels or motors etc. Now is the time to look at them and decide what to do ?. Here is a good example, County of Bedford engine only, no tender

20210210_205727.jpg.2fbee07a4ad6ca6ba798ba2b9e24a8ce.jpg

Brass built body, tatty, firebox looks odd ? triang chassis X04 motor, Hornby dublo bogie, runs well now, wheels pulled out a bit so accepts code 100 track no wobble, missing value gear, no tender. Save and repair or scrap ?

• Like 2

I have a soft spot for models like this. Regardless of their quality or accuracy, each represents some past modeller who, instead of whinging and wishlist ING, sat down and made something they couldn't get otherwise out of something they could. Often with only the skendeeest of resources and a limited skill set. And when they'd finished it, they were probably immensely proud of the result, quite rightly too, as they then had a model which, at the time, almost noone else would have had.

That's not something to be condemned lightly to the bin. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 10

4 hours ago, locomad2 said:

Prehaps the wrong area to post, but here goes. Over the years I've collected a few wrecks, bits models, spares etc from toy fairs/ model shows in the view of either restoring them or scraping them for the parts, mainly for wheels or motors etc. Now is the time to look at them and decide what to do ?. Here is a good example, County of Bedford engine only, no tender

20210210_205727.jpg.2fbee07a4ad6ca6ba798ba2b9e24a8ce.jpg

Brass built body, tatty, firebox looks odd ? triang chassis X04 motor, Hornby dublo bogie, runs well now, wheels pulled out a bit so accepts code 100 track no wobble, missing value gear, no tender. Save and repair or scrap ?

Keep it and bring it up to date but use as much as possible of the original. Airfix Truro tender and an improved paint job, Triang or plastic fantastic rods should do it as a tribute to the original builder! If this was in Barry scrapyard, would you scrap it? :locomotive:

• Agree 3

SAVED, thanks everyone for replying, spent few hours last night testing the loco on existing layout, performance etc. Its a good runner compared to triang L1, (same chassis/motor) just that little extra weight brass body makes all the difference. It didn't stall on insulfrog points like some 2 axle  engines do. Also compared to 30 year old Hornby 38xx, tender drive, actually out performed it by pulling 6 Hornby dublo SD coaches. I also noticed original builder had fitted the cylinders closer to the frames. These type of  cylinders did stick out and on corners rip into platform sides. I myself have a soft spot for such models, they often look more realistic, certainly more reliable, easier to repair/service. The X04 is a simple motor tough, powerful, easy to repair/service as yet only remaged 1, I don't really need spares as they just keep going. Plan is to touch up paint, rebuild value gear, use Lord of Isles tender, if paint job don't work, walnut shell blast it as its brass and respray. 

20210211_042109.jpg.49c9ed2239d6a7b014b6e48963da82dd.jpg

• Like 6