Replacement LED strips - circles or parts thereof...

Ralf

• RMweb Gold

Hi Folks, 

After around 50% of the LEDs failing in my LED workbench light I want to replace the LED strips - see below. Does anyone know where I'd get something similar if not the same? The segments solder together, there's 48 x 12v LEDs on a strip that's around 12mm wide and 175mm external diameter... I have contacted Clarke with no response and the manual on their website says the item has a fluorescent tube which it clearly doesn't anymore! 

Had a quick google and not done very well, I suspect if I knew what these items were called I'd succeed... I was amazed googling LH-802-2835 didn't help at all!

Thanks
Ralf

LED1.jpg.3bfbd8540d778a66f6c8faeccc7bc427.jpgLED2.jpg.a4a54f4619cefa457c8da03db1caad8f.jpgLED3.jpg.7a0eaf2782cee015e02e9f1595389a23.jpg

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Kris said:

Thanks Kris, I think there's a lot of things I don't know / understand about modern lights etc. I just want to be able to connect 2 wires and have it light up! Any idea either what would happen with no data feed OR how I would find out - short of buying one and trying it! 

Thanks

Ralf

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Ralf said:

Thanks Kris, I think there's a lot of things I don't know / understand about modern lights etc. I just want to be able to connect 2 wires and have it light up! Any idea either what would happen with no data feed OR how I would find out - short of buying one and trying it! 

Thanks

Ralf

The data feed is there for the colours that could be displayed. No idea what would happen without it. There are similar lights ready to go on amazon for just over £30, so not massively more than the cost of the component. 

19 minutes ago, Ralf said:

I just want to be able to connect 2 wires and have it light up! Any idea either what would happen with no data feed OR how I would find out - short of buying one and trying it! 

I'm using LED tape for lighting the underside of my layout. It simply needs a 12v DC power supply. I got mine off theBay in a roll of 5m (~£5) and the power supply came from a car boot! The tape is very flexible in that it's a bit like a steel tape measure. It bends up/down but will not go around corners. However, it can be cut (with scissors) into lengths that are a multiple of ~2 inches, so you could assemble a polygon similar to the circular one you are trying to replace with some bits of wire to solder the sections together. The LED tape is fitted by the already attached double-sided sticky tape.

Here's a photo of the LED roll:

20200926_101940_resize.jpg.4dc673e2073ee28c443a79ee2587fbc6.jpg

And here is a bit of it installed on the underside of a baseboard:

1247813257_20210117_120719-BaseboardD_resize.jpg.0639aae72e1d63436fe32155f8cb356e.jpg

Hope this helps.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, ISW said:

I'm using LED tape for lighting the underside of my layout. It simply needs a 12v DC power supply. I got mine off theBay in a roll of 5m (~£5) and the power supply came from a car boot! The tape is very flexible in that it's a bit like a steel tape measure. It bends up/down but will not go around corners.

Thanks Ian, that's certainly worth a look and as I don't get on with using the magnified I could have straight stripes across the lamp...

10 hours ago, Kris said:

There are similar lights ready to go on amazon for just over £30

Good point, well made. Sadly that's the way of Iife these days, I just want a new bulb not to chuck away and buy a new one... Think I will try some tape that Ian mentioned, otherwise it's Hello to Mr Amazon! 

Thanks
Ralf

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ralf said:

Think I will try some tape that Ian mentioned, otherwise it's Hello to Mr Amazon! 

Ralf,

If it's of any use, the LED tape I bought was at this link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-5M-10M-15M-20M-SMD-12V-3528-5050-5630-LED-Flexible-Strip-Light-White-Tape-UK/203212127856?hash=item2f5062fe70:g:YVYAAOSwsKRerBGj

I chose 10m, not waterproof, LED chip code 5630 (bigger LEDs). I see the price has gone up a bit  to £14.99 (no surprise there). No connection to theBay or the Seller. Just a happy customer.

Ian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Ralf said:

Thanks

Ralf

These are addressable LEDs. They need a microcontroller of some kind to tell which of them to light up (and what colour) hence the data feed. If you just connected power nothing would happen as they don’t know which ones to switch on! 

(you can grab an easy to program board for <£5 should that be something you fancy!) 

• Thanks 1