What is this 18v AC plug called? (now sorted thanks)

Andrew D

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks, 

As a learning process I am attempting to make a slow speed controller, using an existing transformer to feed the 16V AC supply. 

Having spent nearly an hour compiling my order at Cricklewood Electronics I'm stuck at the final hurdle. 

I need to order a socket to receive this 16V AC Plug and for the life of me I cannot be sure of what I need. Here is the plug: 

IMG_0138.JPG.29217ee37177029b73da05ae79520bd3.JPG

Needless to say the socket has a pin in it in the centre. 

Many thanks in advance, 

Andrew

Edited by Andrew D

• RMweb Premium

It's a coaxial power connector, and what you have there is the female connector. You need to find the two diameters, and knowing the length will probably help as well.

It looks too small for a 2.1 mm/5.5 mm, which is probably the most common size, but they come in such a bewildering array of sizes. Just take a look at the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_power_connector

• Thanks 1

• Andrew D changed the title to What is this 18v AC plug called? (now sorted thanks)
  • RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Jeremy C said:

It's a coaxial power connector, and what you have there is the female connector. You need to find the two diameters, and knowing the length will probably help as well.

It looks too small for a 2.1 mm/5.5 mm, which is probably the most common size, but they come in such a bewildering array of sizes. Just take a look at the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_power_connector

Even different models of the same make of laptop can have different sizes.

Done to make sure you buy 2 chargers, I assume!:jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

11 minutes ago, Andrew D said:

Yep, I have bought 2.1 AND 2.5 sockets just to be sure! :)

I had this problem a few months ago, with 2 separate power adaptors with different plugs. One would work with a set of external hard-drives and the other wouldn't.

The tip I was given in order to find out that size plug you've got, is to see if you can fit a 2mm drill bit into the plug hole. If only a 2.5mm drill bit fits but not the 2.1mm, then you know what you've got the larger plug. I managed to find some adaptor plugs on Amazon.

• Informative/Useful 1