9 hours ago, The Lincolnshire Poacher said:

Given the factory gates a licks of paint and light bit of weathering this evening :)

IMG_6529.jpg

Some nice detailing on these gates! I still have to model something similar for my ‘Scrapyard’ CakeBox model! Sadly no 3D printer for me... mine will be cobbled from card and wire, but I enjoy the challenge! :good:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Marly51 said:

Some nice detailing on these gates! I still have to model something similar for my ‘Scrapyard’ CakeBox model! Sadly no 3D printer for me... mine will be cobbled from card and wire, but I enjoy the challenge! :good:

Thank you.  3D Printing is great, but it is defiantly can be more fun /challenging making things out of styrene, card, etc :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bedders said:

I really like the overall view, it has a good sense of space considering how small it is. Where did you get the figures for 3d printing from?

Thank you. The 3d figures are just lucky discoveries on thingiverse and mymini factory. I will try and find some links and post them up!

Edited by The Lincolnshire Poacher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Karl said:

I'd love to know more about the weathering effects you achieve. The subtleness on the gate and walls is lovely!

Thanks for the kind words Karl. I do pretty much all my weathering with an airbrush and enamel washes. 

I follow the same process with nearly all the things I paint. Normally primed white with tamiya fine primer. Pre shaded with a matt black around all areas there would be naturally shadows.

If for example,  I want to paint something red i would start with a dark red as an overall base coat blending it into the pre shaded shadow areas,  then follow with a lighter version of the base coat to add a mid tone to certain areas finally followed by a even lighter shade in areas I would like to highlight. Basically a technique called colour modulation.

Then I seal it all in with a satin varnish. Then add various enamel washes to really bring out details and help blend all of the colours together. Hope that helps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

13 hours ago, The Lincolnshire Poacher said:

Thanks for the kind words Karl. I do pretty much all my weathering with an airbrush and enamel washes. 

I follow the same process with nearly all the things I paint. Normally primed white with tamiya fine primer. Pre shaded with a matt black around all areas there would be naturally shadows.

If for example,  I want to paint something red i would start with a dark red as an overall base coat blending it into the pre shaded shadow areas,  then follow with a lighter version of the base coat to add a mid tone to certain areas finally followed by a even lighter shade in areas I would like to highlight. Basically a technique called colour modulation.

Then I seal it all in with a satin varnish. Then add various enamel washes to really bring out details and help blend all of the colours together. Hope that helps!

Thanks, might have to have a go at that. It's a super weathering job you've managed.

• Like 1

Lovely layout: just oozes character.  Must confess I had never noticed the railway in Scothern, let alone the canal! I really must pay more attention when I'm out and about! :jester:  The pipe bridge looks fantastic too.

Best wishes,

Paul

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Grampus said:

Lovely layout: just oozes character.  Must confess I had never noticed the railway in Scothern, let alone the canal! I really must pay more attention when I'm out and about! :jester:  The pipe bridge looks fantastic too.

Best wishes,

Paul

Hi Paul, thank you for the kind words. Ha ha, yes Scothern missed out on a railway by a couple of miles and a canal by a lot of miles! :lol: Thanks for the compliments again :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1