1 hour ago, The Lincolnshire Poacher said:

Hi Paul, thank you for the kind words. Ha ha, yes Scothern missed out on a railway by a couple of miles and a canal by a lot of miles! :lol: Thanks for the compliments again :)

If only the oil terminal could have come a bit closer! :-)  Not something I ever imagined I might need to say...

P

• Funny 1

Not had much of chance to do much work on the layout this week. Family life and work has put pay to that! Have managed to design and print some lamps for the halt. Based on the Southern Region style concrete ones (just because I like them!) However I designed some plain shades instead of the fancy hexagonal ones!

Just need painting up and LEDs adding (these were super fiddly to solder!)

Ive included the STL file if anyone wants to print their own (non commercially please)

IMG_6785.JPG

585699527_stationlamps(3).stl

Edited by The Lincolnshire Poacher
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Well been so busy with work and family life haven't had chance to do much modelling this week. But have just designed and printed this pub front, based on "The Morning Star" in Lincoln. Its not going on this layout but may end up on the next one!

Thought it would be a good oppotunity to demonstrate my painting techniques.

Fresh from the printer (please note lack of PPE)

IMG_6861.JPG

First a blast of Tamiya fine white primer (unfortunately managed to chip the side of the brickwork, but managed to hide it with a little bit of filler.) 

IMG_6863.JPG

Airbrushing random black areas (heavier around places there would be naturally shadow)

IMG_6865.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

IMG_6866.JPG

Airbrushed patchy coat of Tamiya Hull red thinned heavily with meths.

IMG_6868.JPG

Mix in a little orange to the hull red and mist over in random patches (yes looks pretty messy at this stage!)

IMG_6872.JPG

Next I let the paint dry then flood the entire surface with white spirit then add an enamel wash of dark brown over everything. I let this dry for a few minutes then dab off any excess with tissue.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

IMG_6876.JPG

Next a wash over with an orange enamel wash, this instantly feels like you've wrecked the whole thing! But once it settles it gives a nice terracotta hue to the brickwork and ties it all together. 

IMG_6883.JPG

Airbrushing the sign and windows, using a piece of thin plasticard as a mask.

IMG_6884.JPG

Added some mists of dark grey to the door (to tone down the harshness of the black) and painted in some of the details with precision paints brass.

IMG_6889.JPG

The "prototype" pub! Can't wait for it to re open! Will hopefully get the rest of the building drawn up and printed this week.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, The Lincolnshire Poacher said:

Some how missed the most important element of the whole process! Cheers!

IMG_6881 2.JPG

Well deserved Sir, very nice work and detailed painting tutorial. 

Cheers, :drinks:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Not a lot of progress on the layout this week. I have however added a flickering firebox to my old Hornby smokey joe and a dimmer switch to the led lighting rig, so I can create a early evening effect to add a bit more atmosphere. The brazier in the foreground is a 3D print with a orange flickering led glued into the base and super thin balsa wood firewood. Messing around with a few shots on the old iphone :) 

3BA24600-3030-4A2C-82D8-8C06F65BFF28.gif

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

It's very easy to dismiss the Hornby Smokey Joe (& it's myriad variations) as an item that's more toy train set than model, but in the half-light of that photo & with the firebox glow, I would never have identified the loco as that model.!!!

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

On 06/03/2021 at 19:47, F-UnitMad said:

It's very easy to dismiss the Hornby Smokey Joe (& it's myriad variations) as an item that's more toy train set than model, but in the half-light of that photo & with the firebox glow, I would never have identified the loco as that model.!!!

Thank you. Im a very budget modeller so just make the most of what I have :)

• Like 1

A little update on the layout. I finished a little bit of scenery at the bridge end (something that Ive been meaning to do since the first lockdown!).

I've got a bit obsessed with lighting. and ordered a roll of red and blue LEDs from ebay. Linking each strip to separate potentiometers I hope to be able to replicate dawn and dusk lighting effects. So far I've got the whites and blues wired up, and seems quite promising after a first play around. 

IMG_7137.JPG

IMG_7138.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2