GWR? Or not GWR? That is the question!

Hi,

Just acquired this rather pretty 2-4-0T loco body from eBay. I suspect it's scratchbuilt from brass - don't think it's a kit. At present it claims to be a GWR loco. It has a number, 1170, painted onto the underside - I believe the GWR number 1170 was assigned to a Buffalo saddle tank? This model may represent a loco absorbed by the GWR at the Grouping? Alternatively it may be a well-proportioned freelance design? Google Images has produced similar looking locos but not a match. Any thoughts gratefully received. TIA. Paul.

s-l1600 (12).jpg

39 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Looks like some sort of Sharp Stewart.

Jason

I guess its not out of the question that it might be an 0-6-0T? It shares similarities with Stewart Reidpath custom builds? When it arrives I will try the body with a S-R 0-6-0 chassis, see if it fits and how it looks.

1189-1194 were mainly Sharp Stewart 2-4-0Ts. I'm not sure 1170 was allocated to anything absorbed. I'm sure a tank engine like that would not have been lined out, even simply like that, and I would have thought anything in GWR  green livery would have had two whistles and a safety valve cover. So a pretty little freelance I suspect.

Looks like something the Cambrian or MSWJR could have owned, I suppose!

Edited by JimC
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The Barry Railway A class was a Sharpie 0-6-0T and the C a 2-4-0T, also Sharp, Stewart, and this loco might be intended to represent one of these.  If so the livery is incorrect, as the A were all scrapped by 1932 and the C by 1928, while the shirtbutton dates from 1934.

The number is well off for the Barry locos; the GW renumbered the A class (there were 5) between 699 and 706, and the C class (there were 4 of these) 783/4 and 1322/3.  Of course a number painted underneath might not refer to the loco’s running number at all. 

• Like 1

The loco body has arrived!

It's a very neat build. Suggests a good scratch build in brass rather than an etched kit. Has some simplified backhead detailing. Body is well weighted with lead. Suspect it could easily be an 0-6-0T with smaller diameter driving wheels? I need to source a replacement leading wheel leafspring casting (as found on GWR Metro tanks). BTW, it features a Westinghouse pump and tiny sprung buffers.

• RMweb Gold

I haven't got the books to hand, but may I suggest the Alexander Docks & Junction Railway?  ISTR that something similar made it's way to Newport. One company did indeed acquire  a Metro, but blowed if I can remember. 

That's a nice looking model.  I'd suggest the Western would replace the Salter safety valves PDQ.

Its certainly like nothing the Rhymney had built. What do you know about the provenance? I wonder if this little model has been through a number of hands, and that the GW paint has no connection with the original builder's intentions.

It looks to me like an accurate model of Isle of Wight Central Railway No. 8.  Built by Beyer Peacock and delivered in 1898 and withdrawn by the Southern in 1929.

image.png.bbdb02703f09a7d4c9a2a6da635ef7aa.png

Note the photo caption is incorrect, as their 1875 Beyers were even smaller. No 8 was also smaller than the large Beyers as modelled in the Golden Arrow kit, which were supplied to the Isle of Wight Railway, although the IoWCR acquired a similar one purchased in 1906 from the MSWJR.

• Agree 2

Just a note that the Mainly Trains chassis for the Cambrian 2-4-0T, https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/locomotive/mt104/ , might be a suitable underpinning for this model, with a few modifications, assuming it's 4mm:-

IoWCR No. 8 - Wheelbase 5' 10" + 6' 4" - wheels 3' 4" and 5' 1"

GWR No. 1192 - Wheelbase 6' 0" + 6' 3" - wheels 3' 0" and 4' 6"