Help! I've Begun to Like the Look of Thompson Pacifics.

robmcg

11 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

Thompson's Pacifics had faults that Gresley's didn't largely related to the amount of boiler and therefore weight swinging around in front of the first pair of driving wheels.  They also didn't have the same elegance as Gresley's.

However an A2/3 was rostered onto a very heavy ECML freight that a 9F couldn't cope with- provided it could start the train it could keep it going faster than the 9F and was quicker up Stoke bank with it.  

The A1/1 was a bit of a failure by ECML standards, running comparatively low mileages between shopping and spending a bit too long in works when it did, but compare its statistics after rebuilding with locos from other railways and the picture changes- it compares well with a King, for instance.

The Thompson A2s transferred to the Caledonian late in their careers also seemed better thought of that the A4s that went- strong enough to compare with the Duchesses and one less set of inside valve gear to oil round.  The A4s suffered from being at a shed that didn't understand the conjugated valve gear, a pointer to why the last survivors were the Aberdeen allocated ones.

Not all bad- not really top link locos but the LNER lines needed strong mixed-traffic engines that could keep a heavy freight going at a high average speed for mile after mile.  For instance there were eighteen daily paths in each direction requiring a fitted freight to keep up a 60mph average from Doncaster to Peterborough (source- Peter Coster's books).  That needs big locos that can run quickly without the kudos of having a streamlined express behind them...

Les 

Well said!  Thompson designed the Pacifics to burn bad coal, haul 500 tons at speed, and use standardised parts and eventually boilers... all common sense in 1941-46 when he was boss, and pretty much how it all came to pass with the mix of Gresley and Thompson/Peppercorn through the 50s..  If the ride and the frames had been improved.... and steam circuits.   I wonder what Chapelon thought of Thompson's ideas?  By 1955 the game was over though.

edit; p.s. incredible to think that A2/2 CotN's frames were laid just after D-Day and the engine completed a couple of months later in 1944.  Now THAT was Britain at war.....  

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, robmcg said:

incredible to think that A2/2 CotN's frames were laid just after D-Day and the engine completed a couple of months later in 1944.  Now THAT was Britain at war.....  

Incredible to think that Bulleid got away with building express engines by calling them mixed traffic engines while Britain was at war.:o

Bernard 

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Incredible to think that Bulleid got away with building express engines by calling them mixed traffic engines while Britain was at war.:o

Bernard 

I think that's a bit of a myth as certain other railways were still building Express Passenger locomotives without comment.  

The LMS built two batches of Duchesses totalling 13 locomotives and started the rebuilding of the Royal Scots which were virtually new locomotives, about thirty or so had been completed before WWII had finished. 

They also got the other railways to build them some 8Fs. Which was nice of them. :) 

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

With regard to the Thompson Pacifics, I too have come around to rather liking them, mainly because they were just part of the scene. Anything different is bound to engender some sort of admiration.

I have also read that Bullied got his way because he was a bit of a charmer and more of a people person than Thompson, who was, from what I've read from people who were there at the time,  much more difficult to like. I wouldn't have taken to someone who had the wooden panels in his office removed and replaced with glass so that he could keep an eye on the staff in the drawing department! 

Now I don't want to start an argument about Thompson's personality here, but there is a lot written about personality friction at the time that we can all check out if we wish. Indeed these were difficult times for all those involved and one wouldn't wish to have been in their shoes. I also have read somewhere that the job of CME was actually offered to Bullied before it was passed to Thompson but that he turned it down. One can only imagine how different things might have been.

Edited by Dick Turpin
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think that's a bit of a myth as certain other railways were still building Express Passenger locomotives without comment.  

The LMS built two batches of Duchesses totalling 13 locomotives and started the rebuilding of the Royal Scots which were virtually new locomotives, about thirty or so had been completed before WWII had finished. 

They also got the other railways to build them some 8Fs. Which was nice of them. :) 

Jason

I think the most important word there Jason is "still"

To come up with a design that had so many new ideas on both the actual parts and their construction was pushing things to the extreme. Not many other people could have got away with it. With the LMS it was a case of building the same as before with no additional use of design teams.

Bernard

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Bernard 

Yep, that's why they were given 6 foot 2 inch diameter driving wheels!!!???:sungum::sungum:

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

They also got the other railways to build them some 8Fs. Which was nice of them.

The GWR returned the compliment, by pinching some design features from the 8F. Mind you, they probably still regarded Stanier as one of their own...  :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Allegheny1600 said:

I haven’t got a problem with those beauties at all, we were talking about the Pacific’s!

I’m sure I didn’t need to emphasise that, did I!?

Another borrowing from an Idea by Stanier....  :jester:

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

The GWR returned the compliment, by pinching some design features from the 8F. Mind you, they probably still regarded Stanier as one of their own...  :)

More likely the denizens of Swindon were shocked to find out he was still alive after disappearing into the Dead Lands beyond Blunsdon (or Highworth for those of a particularly cosmopolitan outlook).  Possibly why some still look askance at the Counties - using those 8F flanging blocks was perilously close to necromancy.

• Funny 3

48 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

More likely the denizens of Swindon were shocked to find out he was still alive after disappearing into the Dead Lands beyond Blunsdon (or Highworth for those of a particularly cosmopolitan outlook).  Possibly why some still look askance at the Counties - using those 8F flanging blocks was perilously close to necromancy.

Oh come on, the GWR knew of Birkenhead!

5 hours ago, atom3624 said:

It looks great with the matt black smokebox and light weathering over the top of the boiler and down the sides ...

Dulled green suddenly becomes acceptable!

Al.

60501 - CotN R3830 - 20210213-1 smoked small.jpg

Hi Al

looks good a big improvement did you air brush the weathering over the boiler?

Regards

David

Hi David, for the last 20 years I've been telling myself to get an airbrush, and practice ... never worked.

It's only rattle cans - Humbrol - warmed a little first.

Matt black over the top; dark green, brown and matt black on the sides - gentle, short bursts.

I did mask off the front buffer beam and the cab windows - all very basic stuff.

Thanks anyway.

Al.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Hi David, for the last 20 years I've been telling myself to get an airbrush, and practice ... never worked.

It's only rattle cans - Humbrol - warmed a little first.

Matt black over the top; dark green, brown and matt black on the sides - gentle, short bursts.

I did mask off the front buffer beam and the cab windows - all very basic stuff.

Thanks anyway.

Al.

Hi Al

Thanks for the reply Certainly a big improvement on that hideous green that Hornby produced.

If I may make one comment regarding your lamps.

The lamps you have on the front buffer beam, are they Springside lamps as they do look quite large 

If you haven’t seen them before have a look and Lanarkshire Model Services lamps, they do two types for LNER and they are superb and the correct size in scale.

And much cheaper than the Springside ones.

They look much better on the loco, they are a bit fiddly if you want to drill a small hole in them to fit over the lamp irons but well worth it for looks.

I have them on all my locos now, I first saw them on Tony Wright’s thread.

Regards

David

• Informative/Useful 1

Here is my model of A1/1 Great Northern. It was converted from a Hornby A3 using Graeme King's superb resin parts and Morgan Gilbert's etched valve gear. Morgan did the conversion and the painting. I subsequently weathered it.IMG_20210213_161953604.jpg.127c36794155e9349e823213235cb4f7.jpgIMG_20210213_162103730.jpg.24e3fcc5dbcb1e37124a7bec61da7996.jpg

After a house move my 1960 ish ECML is being built in the attic.

Edited by davidw
Add photos
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

8 minutes ago, davidw said:

Here is my model of A1/1 Great Northern. It was converted from a Hornby A3 using Graeme King's superb resin parts and Morgan Gilbert's etched valve gear. Morgan did the conversion and the painting. I subsequently weathered it.IMG_20210213_161953604.jpg.127c36794155e9349e823213235cb4f7.jpgIMG_20210213_162103730.jpg.24e3fcc5dbcb1e37124a7bec61da7996.jpg

Putting aside  asthetics as a model it is excellent and really captures the bulk of the original. Though I never saw it in the flesh. Far too young and wrong side of the country!

IMG_20210213_161953604.jpg

No idea why this picture was added again. 

Edited by davidw

10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

Weren't they part of the WD requirements for home, and abroad??:sungum:

Edited by bike2steam
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, davidw said:

Nice - but talk about 'showing a red rag to a bull.':sungum: