A class 304 (AM4) EMU in N gauge

F2Andy

I decided to have a go at this more for the hell of it than because I have a layout suitable for it. I have a certain fondness for first generation EMUs, and already have a 501, but that was just a 3d printed body, so relatively simple. I am no expert in this sort of thing though I have made a few kits, so we will see how it goes. I better say at the outset that this will not be a perfectly accurate model; it will rather be in the spirit of the prototype.

The basis is four LMS suburban coaches, I think from Graham Farish, purchased from Ebay. I found the older style where the windows are a strip of clear plastic on the inside, rather than the more recent style, where the whole body is made of a single piece of clear plastic, as the latter would be too painful to paint.

Motor-brake

The motor-brake is from a suburban brake (though the doors in the brake section are not right). It will be fitted with a Kato pantograph, and motorised with a Tomytec TM-13 (19 meter B) chassis. The bogies are a bit small (16 mm between axles, rather than 18), but the chassis is easy to source, and they tend to be reliable.

With the coach disassembled, the first job was to remove the floor, which was actually easier than I thought it would be. I used Citadel fine detail cutters (my daughter was into Warhammer for a while) to cut most of it away, then filed it to remove the rest. It was quite a neat fit over the chassis. There is some damage to the bottom edge of the sides, but hopefully some filler will sort that,

The prototype roof has a flat section for the pantograph, so I removed about an inch of the existing roof with a razor saw. The brake end wall of the coach needs to be flat across the top for the roof; again I used the Citadel cutters and a file. The duckets were also removed by filing. Then I glued it together, with a random bit of plastic for the flat roof, and plastic filler to fill in all the gaps.

Driving trailers

I purchased 3d printed cabs. I found two sources online. The Shapeways version, which I found first, is oversized, so I went to N-trains instead (the N-Trains are the black ones in the image). Theirs is still a little big, but I have it filed down - which they recommend to do anyway for smoothing. It is also cheaper and comes with jumper cables and buffers, so is definitely the version to go for. Even with filing the profile is not quite the same, and the carriage roof has a lip that is not on the cab, so not sure how this will work out...

Again with the cutter, I removed the last compartment on each coach. I also filled in the windows of the next last compartment of one of them. This gets complicated, because I do not want to fit the windows until everything is painted, so I want the roof to be removable at this stage. You can see a noticable gap in the roof in one image, that will need to be resolved at the end.

So this is where I am. I am waiting for more primer to arrive, then I can spray them up and see how lumpy they look.

A couple of questions for the collective wisdom of RMWeb:

• The coaches have pairs of vents on the rooves; does anyone have a suggest as to how I replicate them?
  • Can anyone give me a set of running numbers that would have been together 1977-80, for coaches and the set?

20210131_124818.jpg

20210212_145633.jpg

20210212_145449.jpg

• Like 3

Following with interest.  I've got the bits to make a start on one myself, but I'm busy laying track at the minute so it's probably a couple weeks before I do.  I'm going to try two, one with the Electra vinyls in BR Blue/Grey, and one just BR blue for ease of painting!

On 15/02/2021 at 15:22, Scottish Modeller said:

I've got the N tran cabx but am matching them with the Worsley Works etched sides plus etched underframes.

Did you ask Worsley for those especially, or are you re-using parts he has available for other coaches/EMUs?