Shapeways Miniatures

2 hours ago, F2Andy said:

I have had packages from Japan using Royal Mail that I have had to pay import duty on. I got a letter saying it was outstanding, and had to pay on-line before it would be delivered. This was to work, rather than home; I have a suspicion they do not bother when it is to a domestic address.

As mentioned earlier this thread is about Shapeways not charging VAT at source and has nothing to do with import duty which hasn't changed.

VAT and customs charges/import duty are 2 entirely different things.

27 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

As mentioned earlier this thread is about Shapeways not charging VAT at source and has nothing to do with import duty which hasn't changed.

VAT and customs charges/import duty are 2 entirely different things.

Sure, but I would guess delivery companies would collect in the same way, if they had to do them.

On 16/03/2021 at 22:53, David Schweizer said:

This evening I have received an email from UPS to say that my Shapeways models have been shipped and will be with me on Friday, and so far no request for any VAT.

On 17/03/2021 at 17:32, David Schweizer said:

Now been put back to Monday  !! Still no request forany VAT.

A further update from UPS now puts anticipated delivery back to Tuesday afternoon. The package is reported as having  arrived in the UK and sitting at Stanford le Hope (Port, presumably) but is "delayed due to a Brexit related disruption".

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

The package is reported as having  arrived in the UK and sitting at Stanford le Hope

UPS have a hub there, convenient for Southend Airport (UPS fly in there I believe).  Also close to London Gateway for containerised traffic.

18 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Your comments risk confusing the issue. I was not talking about large business consignments from China, but small private puchases worth less than £135 (including shipping) from EU countries, which are excempt from import duty (excluding alcohol & Tobacco).

21 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

Sorry, this chat has solely been about Shapeways not applying VAT since 1st Jan for private individuals, not about the collection of customs charges or items over £135  which basically has remained unchanged but if you want to widen the debate further that's fine but your initial reply didn't reflect what was being discussed at that point.

You are both missing or willfully ignoring the point - regardless of what tax is being collected, the mechanism is exactly the same and has been in place for a long time. UPS (and other couriers) will collect said taxes if instructed to. They do not care who the sender or recipient are - if it has been sent DDU then the recipient pays the taxes if the threshold is exceeded.

It is now a requirement for anyone sending stuff across borders to make sure they are using the right service which matches order value and what they have charged the customer. Shapeways are not charging VAT at the moment, so should be sending stuff DDU with the correct values entered in the system, so that UPS can charge accordingly. When the are charging VAT themselves, they should be sending DDP for consignments below the threshold, and DDU above. 

5 hours ago, Quarryscapes said:

You are both missing or willfully ignoring the point - regardless of what tax is being collected, the mechanism is exactly the same and has been in place for a long time. UPS (and other couriers) will collect said taxes if instructed to. They do not care who the sender or recipient are - if it has been sent DDU then the recipient pays the taxes if the threshold is exceeded.

It is now a requirement for anyone sending stuff across borders to make sure they are using the right service which matches order value and what they have charged the customer. Shapeways are not charging VAT at the moment, so should be sending stuff DDU with the correct values entered in the system, so that UPS can charge accordingly. When the are charging VAT themselves, they should be sending DDP for consignments below the threshold, and DDU above. 

I am just off to find an egg to suck!

Edited by Guest

Well the Shapeways models arrived this afternoon, and no request for VAT or Import Duty. The models are better than I expected, being far more detailed and of finer proportions than the images on the Shapeways website suggests. The finish is a bit matt, but not as rough as some people suggested it might be, I suspect that several coats of paint will smooth it out. The biggest issues are how to fit the glazing, and whether I dare try to motorize one of the Railcars, they really are very small. I may go for the easier option and motorize a baggage truck to run between the railcars.

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

If they weren’t the easiest route to market for people with designs they’d have gone out of business ages ago. Given the quality of £200 home printers now outstrips them; if you can do your own designs far easier to print at home!

Their new colour material looks interesting. The old one was underwhelming, but this looks far more vibrant. Could be a differentiator to win them some market share again.