Exeter St Davids

bootneckbob

• 2 weeks later...

Well work has  continued om the scenery. I'm still getting the base down, and due to the size of the layout it's taking ages. Might add some photos later, but it will be as a progression,  not here's the finished product.

Yesterday I spent some time looking at the trackplan on Anyrail. Just wanted to see if there was anyway to improve the fiddle yard. Tbh I couldn't. Everything works as it should and that's ok; I've been doing this for years and years so it should be right. One thing I did pick up on though was my turntable. The Turntable isn't motorised (yet?) and was only put in to enable me to turn the locos around without picking them up. Once I start that part of the project the locos will be detailed at one end only with a coupling at the other. As such I'll need to be able to turn them  around. Anyway, I was looking at the only space left and thought I'm missing a trick for some loco storage. Everything I own can be stowed off the scenic area in the fiddleyard but my new idea leaves some additional stowage and in time a motorised turntable is a mini project of its own. Anyway, here's a pic of the area.

20210603 Turntable.jpg

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 3

Okay so only one picture as it's not a very interesting topic. I've been continuing doing the 'base' layer of the scenic section. What this entails is making all the surfaces non billiard table like. Sculptamold has been filling the gaps between the tracks. The track (mainline) is actually rising to 6mm above the board and then goes in to the super elevation for the bend. Part of this process was to highlight areas that might not have ballast on and perhaps have some light vegetation instead; and the other was to save putting shed loads of ballast down to build up the bank.

In the margins I've been doing more work on the platforms and been building the Scale scenery cable trunking. I did make my own but I've decided to go with the 'proper' stuff instead.

IMG_20210603_125739.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, must have spent 3 hours this afternoon painting one track. Not all of it, just the up line from the point work on the left to the point far right. Of course its 4 rail sides to do and every single chair/clip. It's a light rusting first then more weathering can be applied. I was looking for quite clean rusty lines on this stretch of the mainline as the inside lines/sidings will be dirty as will the station. Bit of variety needed at the end of the day. Be nice to get some ballast down (soon!). 

IMG_20210612_175235.jpg

IMG_20210612_175155.jpg

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 13

It's just painfully slow, down side of a large layout. I've been doing more on the base layer. I use fine cement like a scatter. Where the gaps are I'll add soil or earth then a bit of greenery before finally getting the ballast down properly in this area. What also has taken some time is the cable trunking which has been pretty much laid in this area now ready for the next stage and ballast.

IMG_20210620_175913.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Layers on layers. Nowhere near a finished state but I'm building up each track individually (only the first two from the left at the mo). I'm hoping the fished result will be more authentic as track ballasting wouldn't have seen all these lines being done at the same time. There will be years of maintenance and dirt building on the center roads, whilst very little on the siding and then the relatively new mainlines.  

IMG_20210710_182823.jpg

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Still not finished but nearly all the ballast down in this area. I've not weathered it at all yet and the plan is for the two middle lines (not concrete) to be really filthy and almost sunk in the earth so a lot more work there. The mainlines in concrete are two different mixes of ballast altogether with the other most my own mix anyway. I've looked at loads of photos and most of you will know the same area can look vastly different from one year to the next with the ballast. This is very loosely modeled on the ballast as seen from a drivers eye view but not from the 80s. The point being I wanted the different tracks to be different as ballast is laid only on one line at a time in real life and the difference will be visually more appealing but also mean I do different weathering on each track. Anyway, I actually think it looks better than in the photos but I'm biased!

IMG_20210720_201938.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jumped to the other side of the layout tonight. Something I've been putting off for a while but bought some murky water deep pour the other week so thought I'd bang it in tonight. Looks like I will be buying another box!

The pictures show before, and straight after pouring.

I've since added the last picture which was taken tonight (few days after pouring). Took the picture down in the reflection too! What you cant see is the actual pour was a little dull after drying. I've used T cut on it tonight to polish it up and it's worked nicely. I will do another pour or 4, but for now I have something there so I know it works. It didn't leak out, and is now level for the next pour!

IMG_20210731_184051.jpg

IMG_20210731_185550.jpg

IMG_20210805_195822.jpg

Edited by bootneckbob
Added another photo
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I have only just read this thread. Amazing! I was brought up in Exeter in the steam era and spent most Saturdays train spotting at ESD and Central so I love this layout. My own layout mimics the trains seen at ESD in the 60s but no way could I have done the track plan, Thank you and keep posting!

PS I sold my Triumph Rocket 3 to fund excessive railway spending!

• Funny 1

Added a picture in the post about the river pour; that didn't go quite as well as I'd hoped but it will be ok. I've got lots of depth I need/want to add and small pours seem to be the way ahead next time. 

Did a little bit of running over the recently glued and ballasted track. My wifes away for a few days tomorrow so I'm planning to spend some time in the shed (rather than fester in front of the TV). Might get the airbrush out and do some weathering?? So much to do don't know where to start now. Airbrushing, or more grass and bushes on the embankment. Get some more greenery on Cowley Bridge road; paint the road. Do the platforms.......???!

Anyway, here's another photo. 

IMG_20210805_200135.jpg

• Like 12

Sometimes I get a bit rabbit in the headlights not knowing what job to do next and end up festering in front of the tv watching YouTube looking at people doing what I should be doing. I need to find a way to get more organised myself. I will look forward to seeing photos of your progress.

On 20/07/2021 at 21:01, bootneckbob said:

Still not finished but nearly all the ballast down in this area. I've not weathered it at all yet and the plan is for the two middle lines (not concrete) to be really filthy and almost sunk in the earth so a lot more work there. The mainlines in concrete are two different mixes of ballast altogether with the other most my own mix anyway. I've looked at loads of photos and most of you will know the same area can look vastly different from one year to the next with the ballast. This is very loosely modeled on the ballast as seen from a drivers eye view but not from the 80s. The point being I wanted the different tracks to be different as ballast is laid only on one line at a time in real life and the difference will be visually more appealing but also mean I do different weathering on each track. Anyway, I actually think it looks better than in the photos but I'm biased!

IMG_20210720_201938.jpg

I like the effect you achieved here. Back in the 1970s the ballast at Exeter St Davids would have been a mix of the grey hornfels from Meldon, and the pinkish limestone from Stoneycombe, each weathered depending on how long since that bit of track had been laid,

cheers. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've spent pretty much all day doing the ballast on this section again; topping up here and there and then re applying the glue. I found while I was weathering a section of track on the curves yesterday quite a bit of ballast wasn't stuck down, especially the last lot of cement I'd blended in. Anyway here is a photo of the shelves I put up and all the jars I bought for my different scenic flocks. Didn't have enough jars for all the static grasses! Looks like a shop now which I quite like, it and it appeals to my normally tidy and organised nature; which sadly has not been the case in the shed!

IMG_20210808_124248.jpg

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 5

Here's a little bit of the weathered track. These are, or will be the really dirty freight lines/sidings which have replaced Riverside Yard. First pass with the airbrush. Lots more weathering and scenery to be applied yet.

IMG_20210808_144516.jpg

• Like 14

More ballasting, gluing and painting and barely any difference! Here's the bit by Cowley Bridge. Just been placing some detail, point heaters, junction boxes etc. These will be set in the ballast but I still need to paint the rails in this area. Won't be too much longer and I'll start Cowley Bridge. Double tunnel portals; deep joy!

IMG_20210812_205433.jpg

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely cracking job so far. Really good stock to run and plenty of it.

I grew up in Cornwall and we always travelled up to Manchester on the train so Exeter was a regular pass through. 
Looking forward to more progress. 

I'm probably adding too many pictures now with not much changing, but here's something I'm doing to replicate the look of the points at the actual location. I think I'll do the cranks (if that's the right terminology) in very thin plasti card tomorrow and see if they look better. Obviously all the detail will end up covered in sleeper grime and oil.

IMG_20210813_172927.jpg

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, bootneckbob said:

Cheers Andy. As you may have read Exeter to Manchester (Stockport) was my childhood journey and obviously deeply ingrained in me.

I'm looking forward to more progress too!

I forgot to say, my journey was Truro to Stockport. My family all still live round there. Small world hey, keep the pics coming.

• Like 1

Okay so here's the Mk2 version of the point work. Points had a bit of paint on them today too. It's actually very hard to see the detail in on this close up but it's there in the real location so I really wanted to have something depicting it.

I've also included a photo of the location.

IMG_20210815_171518.jpg

47381-cowley-bridge-47831-with-the-tavistock-junction-fawley-empties-14th-june-1990-copyright-ron-kosys_orig.jpg

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 7