Exeter St Davids

bootneckbob

Bit more work on Cowley Bridge tonight. I like to mock it up in foam board before I start adding the brick finish plasti card. Took down some of the foam on the left and cut the black edge board down so I can now see that area better from the Fat Controllers chair 2m away at Exeter Panel Signal Box! 

IMG_20210818_201732.jpg

• Like 10

On 07/08/2021 at 21:28, bootneckbob said:

I've spent pretty much all day doing the ballast on this section again; topping up here and there and then re applying the glue. I found while I was weathering a section of track on the curves yesterday quite a bit of ballast wasn't stuck down, especially the last lot of cement I'd blended in. Anyway here is a photo of the shelves I put up and all the jars I bought for my different scenic flocks. Didn't have enough jars for all the static grasses! Looks like a shop now, I quite like it and it appeals to my tidy and organised nature which sadly has not been the case in the shed. 

IMG_20210808_124248.jpg

Very pussers and orderly.

• Like 2

Okay, feedback time. Should I end my scenic run with a backboard right against the bridge, or behind the bridge which gives a bit more depth? There will be greenery on the embankment on the far side but obviously the hole in the board will be there but not visible from certain angles.

IMG_20210820_164430.jpg

IMG_20210820_164504.jpg

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 4

Thanks for your comments.

I wanted to do curves for all the corners but was very difficult to do owning to the backboard used (3mm ply) and size of the backscene. If it was painted it would have been better although parts of the backscene do look very good. The backscene is not fixed to the board so I could flip it and paint it (adding the curves with thin plasticard or similar). I have thought about doing that and just cutting out the houses from another sheet from the Town scene where I want them.

50 minutes ago, bootneckbob said:

I also think it would be nicer with a gap. That way you could see the embankment on the other side through the bridge arch but the bridge itself would hide the mouse hole that the trains would run through to go off scene. I am of course assuming that the photo has been taken from your normal viewing angle? It’s going to be a really nice scene. I’m enjoying following this thread.

You can see the embankment through the tunnel either way I do it. In the top picture you can see the brown earth bank and its light so it doesn't look like a tunnel. The real difference would be some 3D depth behind the top of the bridge plus it also makes an interesting viewing angle looking directly down over the bridge. The normal viewing angle is lower than the photo  unless you're on top of the scene looking at the detail. 

• Like 1

Okay so here's a quick mock up with some 'trees' put in. The picture is taken from the farthest point inside the layout, although zoomed in quite a bit. Anyone standing in the door sees it like that but the full length. The other picture is the extra view the second option brings with the view over the top.

IMG_20210821_172954.jpg

IMG_20210821_173038.jpg

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 13

I’ve only just discovered this thread but I’ll be checking in on your progress from now on @bootneckbob!

1986 to 1992 was the time that I grew up spotting and then bashing around St David’s so this is right up my street…

I’ve got a few interesting photos kicking around from 1987/88 that might be useful when you get around to doing the depot area. Really looking forward to seeing this progress and what you’ve done so far is looking great.

I am feeling a certain level of shed envy at the moment though…

I live at Cowley these days and model part of the Barnstaple line in N gauge. Everything that runs on my layout must have been under your bridge! ;)

Nick

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, bootneckbob said:

@Cowley 47521 thanks very much. I did think about N gauge before I started and standing in the shop looking at the tiny locos I decided OO for me. 

You’d have ended up doing St Thomas, Central and probably Topsham in a shed that size Bob (I know that I would have)!

I’ll post a couple of photos on here in the next couple of days when I get a minute. I’m very much into what you’re doing here.

• Funny 1

54 minutes ago, bootneckbob said:

@Cowley 47521 thanks very much. I did think about N gauge before I started and standing in the shop looking at the tiny locos I decided OO for me. 

You’d have ended up doing St Thomas, Central and probably Topsham in a shed that size Bob (I know that I would have)!

I’ll post a couple of photos on here in the next couple of days when I get a minute. I’m very much into what you’re doing here.

1 hour ago, bootneckbob said:

It looks like I double posted for some reason. Probably best to leave things alone at this point…

• 2 months later...

Well it's been ages since I added anything and that's because I've been busy with work, my other hobby and become a Grandfather or Pops as I'm known now! Actually the last one isn't much of an excuse. Didn't do much but be a taxi for the wife.

I've done a bit of work on Cowley bridge but today I wanted to do some other scenery work so it was back to the river and adding growth to the incline. Also did a bit of finishing on the bridge/viaduct. Need to do the railings next on it. 

As usual, not the finished scene. Ideally I'd like small trees to be overhanging the river and some trees poking up on the other side too. Nice building it up though.

IMG_20211106_181138.jpg

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 11

Well I said I'd been working on Cowley bridge so here's a little peak. Nowhere near finished. To be honest I think I'm going to have to look at how to do brick work again. Not happy with, this or the tunnels on the other side. 

IMG_20211113_183606.jpg

IMG_20211113_183627.jpg

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 7

IMG_20211114_190142.jpg.4a3adb81e408e15f4c4697fa32de07a1.jpgHere's the long shot. Did a little bit this evening; feel like I've got the bug back. So many potential little favorites in this layout, which I have to say is great, and the way I always wanted it. My little favorites don't really exist yet, but I was thinking tonight I really must push on. There's so much to do. I really wasn't joking when I told the mother in law it will never be finished; it's not meant to be! That said, it's nice to have it looking like it is. I've never got as far as this with a layout in my life, but I recon now I can see even if this was finished it would be easy to go back to an area and do it again, or keep improving. 

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 10