Seaside & Holiday Island Narrow Gauge

Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

I think somewhere like Jaywick is quite distinctive, including in terms of the other stock used. There is a slight issue with just using smaller scale locos as “miniature locos” because they don’t always scale in the same way with respect to the track gauge as the model does. Apparently this is an issue with the RHDR locos, and it seems it is also an issue with my 1:12 scale Christmas layout, on which the T gauge train is fairly accurate for 0 gauge (a model rather than miniature in this case) but the scale is less accurate (it should be 1:522 rather than 1:450). Edit: just realised this would actually work better in 1:10 scale, as it would represent a model railway of 1:45 scale and 30mm gauge which is actually closer, but I get the impression that some of the items I used (intended for dolls’ houses) would be less easy to get hold of in 1:10 than they are in 1:12. Anyway that’s drifting a bit too far off topic.

I’ve often thought about doing a 1:12 scale model of a 3 1/2 or 5 inch gauge sit astride miniature line, with a raised track. 9mm gauge would scale up to 4 1/4 inches in 1:12 (halfway between 3 1/2 and 5) so I would hopefully be able to use 009 or N gauge locos for this, although I’m not sure I would be able to get the sit astride coaches to work very well, especially over curved track. 

I'm going to use T-scale linear motor models for a seaside miniature railway on my 00 layout:

https://www.teenytrains.com/

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Aren’t those linear motor ones actually smaller than T, around 1:900? I’ve only used conventional wheel-on-rail T gauge.

Yes they are - my mistake. I was actually referring to the use of the technology by my friend @martink - see for example

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 14/03/2021 at 13:42, Nearholmer said:

Is there a bell-code for "lifeboat proceeding to rescue", or would you use the same one as for a breakdown train?

Surely 4-5-5 - Train Boat running away in right direction?

Wells harbour railway "Edmund Hannay" 

Note donkey pump with flywheel on footplate.

1672844059_WellsEdmundHannay.jpg.a06456e2951b3b2265873bb30e4c1a73.jpg

Now a couple of Fairbourne shots in 15  inch gauge days

Katie or Sian seen from the (possibly) Cambrian Coast Express  

Fairbourne.jpg

I can't remember the name of this loco, Possibly ex- Dudley Zoo ?

1050892809_Fairbourne2.jpg.841972f353df58f02aff2cb3ca1c2256.jpg

And another Cleethorpes view.

1385172675_Clethorpesrear.JPG.c2dc0aec63faac0b3d9922449ee79200.JPG

Edited by Hunslet
Changed photo.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Hunslet said:

I can't remember the name of this loco, Possibly ex- Dudley Zoo ?

1050892809_Fairbourne2.jpg.841972f353df58f02aff2cb3ca1c2256.jpg

And another Cleethorpes view.

1121727947_Clethorpes2.jpg.f37ab44d58f304c767d457b900b8c57d.jpg

Two things:

- The "Blue" Pacific locomotive pictured at Fairbourne in 15" gauge times is "Ernest W Twining" - named after its designer, who also designed the 2-4-2s "Sian" and "Katie". It is now in Japan - which some of us might feel is a shame, but at least it went to a good home. One of the best sources on the 15" gauge Fairbourne Railway and its stock is W. J. Milner's "Rails Through the Sands" (1996) - my copy of which is definitely a treasured volume.

- Moving to the opposite side of England, The picture of the American style locomotiove in front of the water-tank is at AYLSHAM on the Bure Valley Railway (not Cleethorpes - which is quite a bit further north across the Wash). I don't have any of my own photographs in a suitable form to publish and provide the proof - but there are quite a number on the internet if you search for "Bure Valley Railway". Those photos make clear that the BVR water-tanks on sticks - there is another at Wroxham - are much larger than a standard  55 gallon drum, by a factor of at least 4x the volume.

Sorry to be a pedant, but I thought it worh getting the story straight.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

The picture of the American style locomotiove in front of the water-tank is at AYLSHAM on the Bure Valley Railway (not Cleethorpes)

Now I’m wondering why I didn’t spot that earlier, based on the BVR diesel in the background.

6 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

The "Blue" Pacific locomotive pictured at Fairbourne in 15" gauge times is "Ernest W Twining" - named after its designer, who also designed the 2-4-2s "Sian" and "Katie". It is now in Japan - which some of us might feel is a shame, but at least it went to a good home.

Yes - although not currently in working order (which might not be such a bad thing as it won’t be worn out as quickly). I understand that EWT was the original loco on the Shuzenji Romney line (see my link above), but was underpowered for the line. The other locos that run the line now are Ravenglass-design steam and RHDR-design diesel locos, built specially for the Japanese line. There’s also a locally built steam loco based on a Japanese main line prototype. From reading the Miniature Railway World and National Preservation threads on the subject, I think attempts have been made to repatriate EWT but, apart from it not really being for sale, the value it is thought to have is based on that of its replacements (despite the fact that these were in better condition and in working order). I’m not sure how much it was sold for when it went to Japan and whether it was in working order at the time, so that may also have played a part in it.

• Informative/Useful 2

19 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

Two things:

- The "Blue" Pacific locomotive pictured at Fairbourne in 15" gauge times is "Ernest W Twining" - named after its designer, who also designed the 2-4-2s "Sian" and "Katie". It is now in Japan - which some of us might feel is a shame, but at least it went to a good home. One of the best sources on the 15" gauge Fairbourne Railway and its stock is W. J. Milner's "Rails Through the Sands" (1996) - my copy of which is definitely a treasured volume.

- Moving to the opposite side of England, The picture of the American style locomotiove in front of the water-tank is at AYLSHAM on the Bure Valley Railway (not Cleethorpes - which is quite a bit further north across the Wash). I don't have any of my own photographs in a suitable form to publish and provide the proof - but there are quite a number on the internet if you search for "Bure Valley Railway". Those photos make clear that the BVR water-tanks on sticks - there is another at Wroxham - are much larger than a standard  55 gallon drum, by a factor of at least 4x the volume.

Sorry to be a pedant, but I thought it worh getting the story straight.

Regards

Chris H

Sorry about that - photo got mixed up with my Cleethorpes photos - new Cleethorpes photo inserted instead.

Incidentally, I live not far from Sutton park and rode on the railway there often so it was nice to see the stock again on my visit to Cleethorpes.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/04/2021 at 20:27, Hunslet said:

Wells harbour railway "Edmund Hannay" 

Note donkey pump with flywheel on footplate.

1672844059_WellsEdmundHannay.jpg.a06456e2951b3b2265873bb30e4c1a73.jpg

Just read a article in our local 'North Norfolk News' regarding the Wells Harbour Railway. I seems the current owner wants to stand down in the next year or so and is seeking a new 10 year lease from the landowners, Holkham Estate, in order to sell the equipment to a new operator.

The line was originally designed to help holidaymakers staying at the Pinewoods (sea) end of the line get to the town. Nowadays most visitors use the railway to travel from the town to the sea end where the terminus is not ideally sited for close access to the beach.

The Holkham team is hoping to find a better alternative which suits today's needs but no mention of what that alternative might be. It may involve a modified railway, (the Wells Town Mayor would like to see the line extended closer to the beach), so it could result in a longer line if the rail solution is retained.

The Wells Harbour railway is in the Guiness Book of Records as the narrowest gauge railway (10.25 inches) with a scheduled passenger service. It hold the title jointly with the nearby Wells and Walsingham Light Railway.

• 6 months later...
On 08/03/2021 at 09:49, 6990WitherslackHall said:

I don't know if this railway has already been mentioned, But another one is the Hayling Seaside Railway. Its gauge is 2 ft (610 mm) and operates passenger trains between Beachlands and Eastoke Corner. Although it is mainly a diesel operated railway, the railway sometimes hires steam locomotives from other railways.

Work started in October 2001 on the building of Beachlands Station on land leased from the nearby amusement park. Work continued through 2002 and the line finally opened to passengers on 5 July 2003.

The line currently has four locos and as previously mentioned, they are all diesels.

Motor Rail 14wDH No. 1  Alan B Built in 1937

Alan Keef 0-4-0DH No. 3 Jack Built in 1988

Ruston & Hornsby 4wDM No. 4 Alistair Built in 1940

Ruston & Hornsby 4wDMAn No. 5 Edwin Built in 1967 

They also have four coaches and a few wagons. 

0-4-0DH Jack built by Alan Keef

image.png.bf682e7c4f86b0174c22aa339b9fb2d8.png

All four locomotives (left to right): No. 1 Alan B, No. 5 Edwin, No. 4 Alistair and No. 3 Jack. 

image.png.76a8ce9c080b67e8bccb30edeafb77c3.png

In September 2019, the owners put the business up for sale by lease or outright purchase in regard to their wishes to retire and travel.

Bad timing then!

• Agree 1

On 07/03/2021 at 21:19, Northroader said:

Here’s an old photo of seaside line, one of the inselbahn, Wangerooge. The scenic treatment would be fun, until you got to the runout at each end, no buses on bridges here.

F25E5E6E-16D6-4187-BD36-0408A4E06B69.jpeg.bc7f0c061d9d80d0ec4f915aa1d45aa9.jpeg

The Baltic, being all-but landlocked has a minimal tidal range. You couldn't construct something like that in N Sea coast 

On 20/02/2021 at 09:46, Marshall5 said:

A very interesting short film of one of the Far Twittering and Oystercreek locos running at Sothport has appeared on Youtube

When I used to go on the Lakeside Miniature Railway as a kid in the 60's the carriages still carried cast FTO plates on the ends.   Enjoy.

Ray.

I believe the Triang Nellie, Polly and Connie locos took their names from the FT&O locos 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 19/02/2021 at 20:47, melmerby said:

The only loco I can remember was a small 4 wheel ride on loco (possible diesel). I've no idea of the make (Lister?)

Does that have a hydraulic motor?

No, Eimcos of that type were powered by compressed air motors, using the same air supply as the rock drills 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

The Baltic, being all-but landlocked has a minimal tidal range. You couldn't construct something like that in N Sea coast 

Hello there !

The island of Wangerooge is in the north sea.

For some more infomations about the ng line (1000mm-gauge, still running) see:

https://www.inselbahn.de/index.php?nav=1000008&lang=1 

Cheers

Dirk 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, hespertalbahn said:

Hello there !

The island of Wangerooge is in the north sea.

For some more infomations about the ng line (1000mm-gauge, still running) see:

https://www.inselbahn.de/index.php?nav=1000008&lang=1 

Cheers

Dirk 

Oh, I know where that is. Bottom corner of the German Bight, horrible windy choppy waters further out. I spent a thoroughly miserable winter on a jack-up out of Eemshaven, on one of the Borkum windfarms about 10 years ago. More windfarms at Frysland I think? 

Does the line submerge at high tide? 

Edited by rockershovel

• 2 months later...

Its that time of year again.

Did anyone actually go to the seaside, and bring back photos of sun-drenched seaside narrow gauge or miniature railways, last year?

I cycled past the Volks Electric, on a chilly and windy day, but the only photo I took was of Paston Place HQ, which was where the dynamos used to be, and we walked the EST&T trackbed down to Cuckmere Haven, but that is a mere footpath these days.

AE610E99-AA1B-4408-A151-6198732D3064.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2