BR Southern Region Converted Pullman cars

Butler

I’m sure many members are aware that Br Southern purchased a number of Pullman cars for use on Ocean liner trains in the late 50’s early 60’s, They were repainted in SR Green and marked ‘Buffet’ and we’re unclassed. As far as I’m aware there were 6 cars  converted, mostly the Narrower width Hastings Pullman’s.

they are an ideal project for an SR layout as an old Pullman car can easily be repainted and given new lease of life! It depends on your rivet count level, but no Off the Shelf Coaches actually match exactly to the Pullman cars used, but pretty close, if you ignore the overall width ( only about 6” ins out in scale)

below is my attempt at creating one. I have a bit more info on these if required, and pictures subject to copyright.

B

06BC3E5F-FC0D-4ABC-B224-12F17916F040.jpeg

A1A2A4A9-EC4C-4DEB-A454-42C179EFCFEE.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I have planned another mod, as I quite like the look of these ‘out of place’  ex Pullman’s in the rake. the Hornby ,New Century bar’  Pullman, is a pretty good match for the converted Car no 59, which became the ‘Hadrian Bar’ Repainted Green and given Southern Region running number S7879 S. BR paid £6222. For all 6 cars, not a bad deal as they were near the end of their life, nearly 40 years!

the Ex Hastings cars, were still retaining their ‘ matchwood’ sides when converted, so any Hornby or whatever Pullman like that would be about right.

Hope this is of interest to anyone thinking of converting one. I do have a bit more info if required

B

I have one that's been seen on Hull MRS's Ladycross. I made it years ago from one of the old Tri-ang Pullmans.  I carved about 2" out of one side and reversed it (quite usefully the sides are flat without a tumblehome) then filled in some of the windows, flushglazed the rest, painted it green and gave it some Hornby Gresley Bogies.  I took my inspiration from a handful of photos I found so, dimensionally I don't know but it looks the part.  The photos showed plain sides, not matchboard. Maybe they are poor photos but it does me.  Rule 1 applies. 

Sorry I don't have a photo, it's at the clubroom and we're not allowed in.  

On 14/02/2021 at 14:40, BernardTPM said:

The 1970s Farish Pullman Diners were matchboard and quite close to the Hastings type too.

The GF cars are a close match for some of the ones that wound up painted maroon (unlined?? - I'm sure Ben Alder will know) as ScR catering cars on the West Highland and ex-HR lines too.

David

7 hours ago, David_Belcher said:

The GF cars are a close match for some of the ones that wound up painted maroon (unlined?? - I'm sure Ben Alder will know) as ScR catering cars on the West Highland and ex-HR lines too.

David

Hi David,

I worked out some sketches of the sides and window arrangements for the LMS Pullman cars that ran in  Scotland, I don't claim them as 100% accurate but near enough for a cut and shut from the Hornby Pullman cars. The dimensions for the windows are to the centre of the windows and the measurements are taken from the edge of the body sides that returns in towards the doors.

The names are Lass o Ballochmyle, Meg Dods, Mauchline Belle and Car 80 for the top two sketches and Helen of Mar, Queen Margaret and Kate Dalrymple for the lower pair. These carriages had panel beads which would have to be made from micro strip as the Hornby ones are flush sided.

DSCF1231.JPG.25f639a343404abb07dbe33fe2531572.JPG

For good measure here is one of my cut and shuts, Car 54, that yet requires transfers:

DSCF1226.JPG.5d59fe15faa82a1840f3922abf8a32bc.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 1