3D Modelling beginners Question about Methods

Hello,

I have a basic question that is more about the fundamentals of modelling in 3D and something I have wrestled with since my faltering first attempts years ago. Please excuse my ignorance of terms as I have no formal 3D education and am just trying to get back into it.

So.. Should one model in solids or in surfaces (or faces, depending on how you look at it) I am unsure of how best to start off a model as sometimes it seems simple to use a solid and the transform and others would seem to be easier creating walls.

Look forward to being educated via the group.

Tom

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It is likely to depend on the program that you are using. I model in solids but then create sketches on the faces of the solids to add further details. I normally use Fusion360. I also use Tinkercad which is pure solids. 

1 hour ago, backofanenvelope said:

Hello,

I have a basic question that is more about the fundamentals of modelling in 3D and something I have wrestled with since my faltering first attempts years ago. Please excuse my ignorance of terms as I have no formal 3D education and am just trying to get back into it.

So.. Should one model in solids or in surfaces (or faces, depending on how you look at it) I am unsure of how best to start off a model as sometimes it seems simple to use a solid and the transform and others would seem to be easier creating walls.

Look forward to being educated via the group.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I have a video channel that shows you how to do models in Fusion 360.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCO6U0E0fVTEm9RUQMRtKVKQ

Generally I model in Solids,  but some items require the needs of surface modelling. 

Cheers

Carl

• Like 1

Thanks Kris & Carl

I currently have blender as it’s what runs on my laptop but I don’t feel it’s easy to learn. I think I might have tried Fusion360 in the past but never got into, but I’ll try it again.

I also wondered how and if you mix solid shapes and sculpturing modelling or again is it one or the other?

Thanks for advice.

Tom

A lot depends on the software you are using, I prefer solid modelling but the software I'm using (Inventor and Autocad) is anything but cheap, however there are times, in particular when creating very complicated organic surfaces when it is often easier to use a surface modelling package, as a result you will tend to find that engineers use solids and artists surfaces, the nice thing about solids is that you have minimal worries when 3d printing

I've been using a package called Alibre for many years. It was recommended to me by someone who has done a lot of 3D work, and it suits me. You can build solids and walls. Not as expensive as most others packages, and that includes being fully licensed to do commercial work. There used to be a free download(liited time) so you could try it out.

https://www.alibre.com/

• RMweb Gold

Blender is quite the package to get started in, but if you take it step by step, like any other complex package, then it's definitely manageable. It's also free and there are third party add-ons that can make life easier. There hasn't been anything I couldn't do within Blender, but I do know that some actions are easier in other software, an example of this is the flange at the bottom of a dome or chimney. Definitely doable in Blender, but there isn't a quick solution for this like there is in other packages.

It's probably best to trial a couple of different packages and see which one works best for you. For example, people say Sketchup is a lot easier then Blender, but I've never could get the hang of it.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JCL said:

It's probably best to trial a couple of different packages and see which one works best for you. For example, people say Sketchup is a lot easier then Blender, but I've never could get the hang of it.

Thank you that is good advice and I will take. I have limited experience of Blender, dabbled a few years ago but could get it to click.. Sketchup too, I find problematic, Fusion360 doesn't seem to want to run on my old computer. So I will keep looking for some thing that works for me.

On 16/02/2021 at 01:49, rue_d_etropal said:

I've been using a package called Alibre for many years. It was recommended to me by someone who has done a lot of 3D work, and it suits me. You can build solids and walls. Not as expensive as most others packages, and that includes being fully licensed to do commercial work. There used to be a free download(liited time) so you could try it out.

https://www.alibre.com/

I have an earlier version of Cubify - how easy is it in making domes and funnels as I find it impossible with Cubify - I resort to creating the dome but where the flange is I cant get the flowing shape and just punch a washer out in card that wraps to the boiler and then fill the radius with modellers putty.

Chris