Regional railways/Provincial coaching stock early 1990s

125_driver

I am trying to asertain what rolling stock would have run with the cardiff allocated class 37s in the late 80s and early 90s on the cardiff to liverpool and southport to manchester workings . Im guessing mk1 and mk2 , but what depot was the stock allocated to? Looking in Platform 5 books for both 1990 and 1992 I cannot find any mention whatsoever of the coaching stock that would have worked these services so hopefully someone out there can help????

I think that there were two separate instances for periods of loco hauled trains in the North West.

In 1988 Liverpool - Cardiff workings were due to late delivery of 'Sprinter' units to Cardiff Canton and a similar non-availability of 'Pacers' saw some workings in the North West (including Manchester Victoria - Southport) turned over to loco hauled coaching stock. Images show a variety of blue and grey stock (mainly Mk2) in use but if the workings were short term then it would be unlikely they were allocated to a specific pool.

Forward to May1991 and the North West 'Club' trains to Blackpool and Southport entered the frame. According to an article in the August 1996 edition of "Traction" coaching stock was composed of re-branded Mk2 stock in Regional Railways livery that operated in 5 car rakes.

Newton Heath and Edge Hill are both mentioned in connection with ECS in the early days with Longsight coming into the picture towards the end of the workings.

• Thanks 1