2F 0-6-0 on the Settle & Carlisle

paulontheball

Hi,

Question for the wise... can anybody advise if the 2F 0-6-0 Johnson tender loco's found their way onto the S&C in LMS or BR days or both?

I have spent some time googling this but not found any record of it.... but that may just be my poor googling skills!

Many thanks

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

According to the 1945 allocation list given in C. Hawkins & G. Reeve, LMS Engine Sheds Vol. 2 (Wild Swan, 1981), Hellifield had 3352 but it seems unlikely venturing up the S&C was the reason for it being there. Skipton had four: 3037, 3052, 3477, 3554 but again, these probably worked the local lines. 

Of course a good many went new to Carlisle and Leeds to work the S&C but that was back in the 1870s and 80s, rather before the period of your question!

• Informative/Useful 1

You should not under estimate a 2F.  In the 1930s they would still work up the S&C, certainly on lesser shorter jobs like the pick up freights and ballast workings. Don't forget that the vast influx of Black Fives and 8Fs onto the LMS was really a WW2 onwards build programme.  Therefore 4Fs, Crabs and 3Fs would have been the mainstay of the freight workings with 2Fs on shorter lighter jobs.

Tony 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've never done the Three Peaks myself (and never will) but take vicarious satisfaction in my sons having done it three years ago. I've been up Ingleborough twice, from the Ingleton-Hawes road, but a long time ago!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, John-Miles said:

And Penyghent - there is a good Welsh name for you in the midst of the Ribble Valley (there is also Pendle)

Until about 850CE Welsh was the common language in the north-west though it might have helped if you had a smattering of Latin too particularly if you needed to talk to officialdom who were clerical. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1