RFC/RAF Airfield railways.

Tony Davis

Going through some photo's that I took in the Talyllyn Railway museum last year I found a display board shewing a narrow gauge locomotive on an RFC or RAF airfield. I would like to combine my hobbies of aircraft and railways and modelling something like this would seem to be a good idea. I can't find any real-life examples. I have found photo's of a railway serving a munitions store, and also a seaplane base, but nothing shewing an airfield. The picture was a painting, so I'm wondering if if was just meant to convey the idea of an RAF (or RFC, the painting shows what looks like an Avro 504 and an HP 0400).

Any pointers?

Thanks

IMG_3202.jpg

• Like 1

RAF Manston had a branch line from near Birchington Station at a junction at Gore End.

RAF Cranwell was served by a branch line from Sleaford.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranwell_branch

RAF Lympyne was served by a branch

Stonehenge Airstrip on the Salisbury plain was served by a military railway connected to the Amesbury and Bulford Camp Light Railway

The Talyllyn Railway's Douglas previously worked at RAF Manston and then RAF Calshot

image.png.35d5ba3df948255015e48865a1e84d2e.png

I don't know if these count, but there are also plenty of examples of Narrow Gauge Railways serving Royal Airforce ordnance factories and stores:

RAF Chilmark

RAF Fauld (scene of the infamous explosion)

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

Thanks, I will have a look at those sites. I am really looking to justify having model planes and locomotives on the same layout, that's why the painting appealed to me. 

Should push come to shove, I could base a layout on the painting I suppose, and claim it "is based on material seen in a famous Narrow Gauge Museum"

It probably won't be 0400's though, they are quite expensive in !/48

• Like 2

A narrow gauge line was certainly used in the construction phase of what was intended to be a new RAF Training School at Aldeburgh Air Station. The Station had been in use from 1915, but in 1918 it was decded to expand its role and a steam worked line was built from a jetty on the River Alde to tha airfield site, with the line being worked by three 2 foot gauge steam locos.

Work was paused after the Armistice and the project was abandoned during Summer 1919.

The booklet "Air Station Aldeburgh 1915-1919" By Geoff Dewing, published in 1998 has details of the route and the locos used.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

During the first world war Flookburgh Airfield, between Grange over Sands and Cark, was going to be used for the construction of airships by Vickers of Barrow in Furness. A start was made on  constructing a railway, from the Carnforth to Barrow line just west of Wraysholme Lane Level Crossing. A small embankment, only a few feet high, curves away from the mainline. It is visible on Google Maps, a line of trees mark the proposed route. AFAIK, the line was never finished. In fact the whole plan was scrapped, as by 1917 it was decided that Vickers could  handle production of any further airships at their Barrow factory. It would make an interesting idea to build a "might have been" . Hope this helps, good luck with your plans.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to Irish Padre for the Masirah link. My father was stationed there during WWII.  I saw a brief mention of the railway in an old Model Railway News (?) but never discussed it with him. He was on radar.

• Like 3