GWR ATC front pony mounting

Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium

I'm modelling 4505 which appears to have the ATC mounted just forward of the front pony axle, hung from a transverse mounting that curves in a shape a bit like a leaf spring.

I dont think this is all that normal - many small prairies had it on the rear buffer beam, moguls inside of the front buffer beam. Just wondered if anyone has, or knows of, a good reverence photo or drawing?

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Thanks - the older thread ends with a Hall with the plunger mounted on the bogie which is similar to what I'm looking at. I suspect there is a mounting behind the leading axle as well and the shoe, which you cant see, is actually directly underneath.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I can't find any pictures of small prairies with the ATC at the front.

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=129570&search=4505

I've bought this image and its clearer blown up so in the absence of anything better i'll have to approximate.

Not sure that link works but its 4505 at Bodmin Road.

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Gold

In "Great Western Moguls and Prairies" page 83 there's a photo of 4401 at Craven Arms 1951 with a similar arrangement visible.

After a quick scan it doesn't seem to appear in any other small prairie photos in the book.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Harlequin said:

In "Great Western Moguls and Prairies" page 83 there's a photo of 4401 at Craven Arms 1951 with a similar arrangement visible.

I've found a clearer picture of 4401 from a better angle than I had of 4505 and it looks forward of the axle so that's very helpful, thanks.

Looks like 4406 was similar and 4509. Its easier to spot the wiring than the shoe.

Edited by Hal Nail