Gear lubrication - Oil or Grease?

• RMweb Gold

With regards to the lubrication of gears/worm etc, what is nowadays considered better oil or grease?

I’ve always used Fleischmann oil (FM6599) on bearings and motion but it appears a little too “thin” for the drive train.

Any recommendations, 

Thanks

Generally a synthetic grease for the sort of small mechanisms in model trains. Grease, because it adheres, it isn’t thrown-off by the motion of the parts.

Synthetic oil for sliding and rotating contact-surfaces, typically bearings.

I’ve long used an LGB/Massoth synthetic gear grease, and Labelle 108 synthetic oil, on both modern and ancient mechanisms, both are plastic-safe, and neither ‘dries out’, which is a serious problem with traditional mineral-oil lubricants. One tube of grease and a tiny bottle of oil have lasted 30+ years, although I have rather a lot of locos, because you only need the tiniest amount.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I don't like the grease that RTR locos are supplied with, as it solidfies over time making it the opposite of a lubricant (a stifficant?) and attracts muck, and there's usually too much of it in places it is supposed to not be.  I clean it off and replace with a non-mineral light machine oil bought from Antics who assure me that it is not harmful to plastics or nylon, and it isn't, nor derived from organs retrieved from dead whales (my Triang/Rovex Black Princess set in 1956 included a small square glass bottle of 'Shell high grade whale liver oil' with which I remember being most impressed...). 

It seems fine on drive trains but these need regular observation as crud starts to build; the solution is to drop the wheels out every so often, clean them (I use an 'electronic switch cleaner', not sure in what sense it is electronic, in a rattlecan, which blows most of the crudified lube away) and relube them; you can clean and lube the axle bearings and check the set of your pickups, as well as any other minor fettling needed while you've got  the keeper plate off.  I apply lube as sparingly as possible with a syringe, but a droplet on the end of a pin is just as effective.

The rookie mistake is to assume that, if it's a bit stiff, it needs more lubrication; more lubrication may appear temporarily effective but will attract more crud and make the situation worse.  One can sometimes pick up non running 'spares or repair' bargains on the 'Bay that have ceased running because of this; a strip down, deep clean, careful lubing and reassembly shows that there was never anything much wrong with the loco in the first place.

OTOH if Fleischmann recommend a particular lubricant for their gears, you might be best off sticking to that, at least for Fleischmann locos.

PTFE on worms may be worth a trial!  One doesn't here of it being used in coach or wagon bearings any more; it was all the rage back in the 70s (but then, so were flares...).

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Anybody got brands of grease or oil they can recommend for OO mechanisms  and where they got them?  Inevitably I'd get the wrong stuff if left to my own devices.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, shipbadger said:

Wahl clipper oil was the recommendation in the US for many a long year.

Including - whisper it - a drop or two, but no more for the whole layout, on the head of the running rail. Some swear by its benefits, while others think it's an April Fool idea.