TTS Decoders and firebox glow

todeni

Hi People,

Can any body please point me in the right direction as to how to  fit firebox glow using a TTS decoder, I think it could be Green and Blue wires directly from the decoder, and how to get the LED to light in both directions of travel.

Thanks Folks,

Ian H.

Probably easiest to buy an orange LED that flickers? Then wire it up as above with an appropriate resistor. I think that Bachmann are using a combination of red and orange LEDS in the J72 / 94xx.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-Orange-Flickering-LED-3mm-Candle-Flicker-Effect-UK-1st-CLASS-POST/121552102287?hash=item1c4d11e38f:g:LCMAAOSwxEpYxH0V

No connection etc, just found them as looking for LEDs online.

While not TTS, this may help with ideas too: I wired a 'Hogwarts Castle' model for headlamps and a firebox flicker, but having used a 2-function decoder, I used the yellow wire for the firebox (and white for the headlamps). I was able to program a flicker on this decoder, but as others have said, this may not be possible with the Hornby TTS. I reprogrammed the outputs to be constantly on for both the white and the yellow wires (i.e. on in both forward and reverse modes).

With the TTS decoder, if you are not using the white and/or yellow wires for lamps or other outputs, these can be used for the firebox glow, possibly with both red and orange LEDs together. There's no law that says these wires can only be used for head and tail lights.

The usual fudge to produce a flicker is wire a flashing led in series with a steady other colour led and a suitable resistor of course. The varying intensities as they light and fade under control of the flasher will produce a fairly realistic effect.

TTS as stated runs decoder function three output under control of key F25 on the blue and green wires. Output function should not be confused with sound outputs on key F3.