Midland Railway Fencing

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

Can somebody please put me out of my misery!

I ve spent a couple of days going through my library, collection of photos, and trawling on line to find a colour photo showing Midland station style fencing  in the 1950s. My memory tells me it was painted maroon in this period, however the few colour photos l ve found show the fencing to be either a dark brown or possibly black, or just plain weathered beyond recognition .

Can anyone please confirm what it really was?

Thanks in advance

Bob C

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Blobrick said:

Can somebody please put me out of my misery!

I ve spent a couple of days going through my library, collection of photos, and trawling on line to find a colour photo showing Midland station style fencing  in the 1950s. My memory tells me it was painted maroon in this period, however the few colour photos l ve found show the fencing to be either a dark brown or possibly black, or just plain weathered beyond recognition .

Can anyone please confirm what it really was?

Thanks in advance

Bob C

First question is which style of fencing are you referring to? Sawn Diagonal, Close Boarded Fencing, Sawn Paled Fencing, Post and five rail fence, Wrought Paled Fence or Unclimbable Iron Fence?  All fences were creosoted except the Wrought Paled which was painted white and the Unclimbable which was black.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks gentlemen, l must have been having a senior moment, l wonder where l saw maroon fencing then? Anyway  thanks to your input l can put any idea of maroon fencing where it belongs..................

Cheers 

Bob C

• RMweb Premium

I ve just remembered where l ve seen maroon painted Midland railway  station fencing......Topley Dale, Hornby's test track layout, often featured on new releases. The fencing can be clearly seen on their latest video for the new Bachmann 0-4-4t 1P tank loco.