Hornby Bulleid WC mechanism issue

I have a Hornby Builleid WC Tangmere which has an issue and as I’m a complete duffer when it comes to mechanical issues, can anyone surmise what might be wrong?

When the power is applied (forwards or backwards), you can hear the motor whirring away, but the wheels don’t move.  Is it any easy fix and how would I do it? 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Billystanier, the first thing you are going to have to do is remove the body of the loco from the chassis. I'm not sure if Tangmere is an original Bulleid or the rebuilt version, and I'm not familiar with the innards of either, but I'd think the former would be more straightforward. If you are lucky, the problem will be no more than a motor or bracket retaining screw having worked loose causing the motor and worm not to engage with the drive train gears. If its anything more than this, try to take a photograph of 'the works' and post it on here. I'm sure someone will be able to advise about the problem , if not suggest a resolution for you.

Best of luck with this,

Regards,

John

• Agree 1

As has been suggested, sometimes this  is the screw holding the motor down working loose. Sometimes, even with the screw tightened the motor is only just in mesh or may come unmeshed. In which case, a bit of packing may be required to tilt the motor forward. On other occasions, the gear on the driving axle has shifted off the splines that are holding it to the axle so it just rotates without turning the wheels. In this case, sometimes this can be just pushed back by removing the retainers under the wheels. However, sometimes the gear has cracked and needs to be replaced. Often the crack is very difficult to spot - try just moving the gear back on the spines and seeing if it stays there.