Doncaster station in the 1950s - when were the canopies over the platform roads removed?

Rail-Online

Hi,

Doncaster station in the early 1950s was still in basically GNR condition with the two platforms facing the through roads covered over with canopies supported on columns adjacent to the through roads.  Can anyone give me a definitive date when these roofs were removed please?

The pic belows shows what I am talking about

Cheers Tony

doncaster canopies.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure this is Doncaster?

The bridge over the track does look the one going to the works but road bridge is too close to the platform ends to be correct.

Most of the pictures you see of Doncaster do not show any signs of these canopies

https://davidheyscollection.myshopblocks.com/pages/david-heys-steam-diesel-photo-collection-07-railway-centre-doncaster

Peter

• RMweb Premium
On 16/02/2021 at 09:45, Rail-Online said:

Hi,

Doncaster station in the early 1950s was still in basically GNR condition with the two platforms facing the through roads covered over with canopies supported on columns adjacent to the through roads.  Can anyone give me a definitive date when these roofs were removed please?

The pic belows shows what I am talking about

Cheers Tony

doncaster canopies.jpg

Hadn't noticed this query before!  In the book "Rail Centres: Doncaster" by Stephen Batty (Ian Allan, 1991) there is a picture taken from a similar angle to yours which shows the canopy in place (although maybe partially dismantled) over the Down platform road but the one over the Up side has been removed and steelwork for the new canopy is in pace, in other words it looks like 'work in progress'.  The caption gives the date as 31st May 1957.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1