N gauge locos and 6-function Next18

Carl

Hi guys,

Before I buy some decoders and potentially regret it, I've got a couple of questions.

I've picked up a Dapol HST-P and class 33, and a Revolution Class 92 recently.  They're all Next18, and are my first locos designed for Next18.  All of my 6-pin decoders are Zimo or Lenz, and would like to stick with Zimo for N18 where possible.

1)  It seems that 4 function decoders (like the MX618N18) will be absolutely fine for locos which have independently switchable red/white lights in each end, and no other functionality?

2)  The Revolution Class 92 doesn't actually specify a 6-function decoder, but it has cab lighting at both ends, and independently controlled red and white lights on each end - which seems to suggest it'll require a 6-function decoder for full functionality?

3)  It seems that it's only the Dapol's Imperium2 and the LaisDCC Next18 decoders that have 6 function outputs - and the LaisDCC seem to have a poor reputation, and I've learnt that the Imperium2 is a re-badged version (at twice the price!)  Is this reputation really deserved?  Have I missed other options?  I'm aiming for automated control of my layout, and don't want to be frustrated with poor quality decoders, and would rather sacrifice the cab lighting if the Dapol decoder isn't great.

4)  Isn't it frustrating Dapol don't have downloadable loco instructions?  Although I doubt any of their Next18 locos have a requirement for more than 4 functions, I would like to double check before any future purchases.

Edited by Carl

2 minutes ago, red death said:

ESU do a Lokpilot Micro Next18 version with 6 functions which would be the closest to the sound decoder in our 92s. 

cheers Mike

Do you use the LokSound decoder in your 92s?  Which version?  I only picked a 92 up last week, and there were no sound versions left, so had to go DC.  Not sure if I want sound or not in the 92 yet, but it'll be good to know the decoder you use.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, an ESU Loksound Micro v5. 

ps if the non-DCC fitted 92s don’t have the additional info sheet on all the DCC settings we used you can download it from our website > Information > Support then click on the 92 support page link. 

cheers Mike

Edited by red death
  • Like 1

Hi,

Remember that the 4 FO's on the Zimo are in addition to the lights on F0, so you have F0 through F4.

They also have 2 more logic level only function outputs on F5 and F6.

I have Zimo MX618N18 decoders in my Dapol CL68 loco's and have independent control of the front and rear lights and cab lights.

They should work equally well in the CL92. 

The CL92 DCC instructions show the use of 6 Function Keys, not 6 Function Outputs.

They also talk about using "Swiss Mapping" for the lights, and the CV's match the Zimo manual.

Or to put it another way, in answer to question 2. 

No, you don't need a 6 function decoder a 4 function decoder will be fine.

On the Zimo decoder you have to set the CV's so that FO3 and FO4 are Function outputs and not Susi outputs, Susi is the default.

Regards,

John P

Edited by jpendle
Clarity
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, jpendle said:

Or to put it another way, in answer to question 2. 

No, you don't need a 6 function decoder a 4 function decoder will be fine.

That's brilliant, thanks for all the information.  Just what I was after.

Edited by Carl