Interstate Railroad - Appalachian coal hauling in 1952.

DanielB

Hi gang. :)

Just a quick update for now. Sophie at Anoraks has found me another Bachmann RS3 in Interstate colours, so I should have that soon, plus I found this on eBay, I figure it will make a good company store/warehouse for the coal camp on the layout.

I believe there were similar large brick or concrete structures at Andover and Norton yards, but I'll have to check my reference books for more accurate information.

20210415_175301.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi guys!

Just touching base so you know I'm still alive. Not exactly a given these days.

Not a lot to update the thread with, besides another couple of freight car purchases - including a Walthers Interstate lettered coal car. I think I have five ready to run Interstate cars now.

I also managed to snag a Bachmann Spectrum decapod for the princely sum of £60 plus postage from an eBay seller.

Not sure what I'll use it as but for that price I'm sure I'll find a use for it. :)

• Like 5

Following on from my previous post, I am seriously considering selling off Piedmont Blues and freeing up space to make a proper go at the Interstate layout.

The pandemic has made me revaluate how I engage with this hobby, and I don't see myself engaging with exhibitions nearly as much as I used to, especially with such a large layout.

Clearing out the space in my layout room will give me the opportunity to build a layout for my own entertainment rather than for others.

I'm considering having a layout building company come in and do all the parts of the process that I don't enjoy - baseboards, trackwork and electrics.

This will give myself the freedom to work on scenery, structures and rolling stock whilst still allowing me to run operations whilst I do.

I guess we shall see where this goes. :)

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I'm finding this thread really interesting. Having just bought a HO Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 in C&O livery with DCC sound (absolutely captivating)  it has revived my sleeping interest in Eastern US  coal hauling railroads.  I have got my Chessie/C&O/B&O/WM stuff out of storage (packed up in the last Century!) to pick out any vehicles and accessories that would fit a transition era/end of steam layout.

Hopefully I am not competing with you when it comes to buying C&O hoppers etc. :huh: Availability of US stock in UK has come as a bit of a shock to me as I just used to go to Victors in London or a shop at Bourne End, Buckinghamshire to get my stuff. A lot of stock on eBay is in the US - not really surprising - but the shipping cost is off putting. Also the people whose work I used to follow in Model Railroader/Railroad Model Craftsman are now quite elderly or no longer with us. How times change.

Years ago I started building a 36" radius scenic circular test track using Peco code 75 flexi track. It has a curved backscene so you can't see it all at once. I had built half of it before I moved on to other things but I am now working on the other half so I can just sit back and watch and listen to the train running by! I am not a great fan of switching layouts.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Talbotjohn said:

Hopefully I am not competing with you when it comes to buying C&O hoppers etc. :huh: Availability of US stock in UK has come as a bit of a shock to me as I just used to go to Victors in London or a shop at Bourne End, Buckinghamshire to get my stuff. A lot of stock on eBay is in the US - not really surprising - but the shipping cost is off putting.

Might I introduce you to Anorak's Anonymous - you can find their shop information on Facebook or online. Sophie has massive amounts of US outline stock for very reasonable prices.

11 hours ago, DanielB said:

Might I introduce you to Anorak's Anonymous - you can find their shop information on Facebook or online. Sophie has massive amounts of US outline stock for very reasonable prices.

She'll have some more American O scale soon, I suspect, if you follow through on your threat to sell Piedmont Blues, Dan!!! ;)

• Funny 1

Hi, Yes, I had picked up on Anoraks Anonymous as a source for used US items from earlier postings on this site. I think they had a stand at the last big NEC show and people were round it like bees round a honey pot just after the show opened!

I did drop them an e Mail saying I was after a 40 ft steam era C&O boxcar but I haven't had a reply yet. Maybe I should bite the bullet and pay them a visit in person although West Midlands to Doncaster isn't a short drive.

Years ago I picked up a lot of stuff at a NMRA UK Regional meeting at Barrow upon Soar but I am not a NMRA member now and I don't know if these sort of meetings are up and running again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Talbotjohn said:

I did drop them an e Mail saying I was after a 40 ft steam era C&O boxcar but I haven't had a reply yet.

Personally speaking I've found Sophie's response to emails & even text messages rather non-existant.

A shame as she's a key supplier of US outline these days!!

On 14/10/2021 at 13:29, long island jack said:

Your in luck, there at the NMRA convention next weekend, non members can attend Saturday. image of there Facebook page

245350274_373815167811986_4102646183402868590_n.jpg.82d5fe923dbba5e7512a8b23849ee345.jpg

Hi, I would like to go to this - can you give me any more details re location including post code and opening times to non members please. I don't use Facebook.

On 12/10/2021 at 23:47, DanielB said:

Following on from my previous post, I am seriously considering selling off Piedmont Blues and freeing up space to make a proper go at the Interstate layout.

The pandemic has made me revaluate how I engage with this hobby, and I don't see myself engaging with exhibitions nearly as much as I used to, especially with such a large layout.

Clearing out the space in my layout room will give me the opportunity to build a layout for my own entertainment rather than for others.

I'm considering having a layout building company come in and do all the parts of the process that I don't enjoy - baseboards, trackwork and electrics.

This will give myself the freedom to work on scenery, structures and rolling stock whilst still allowing me to run operations whilst I do.

I guess we shall see where this goes. :)

I'm in the same situation as to getting rid of two layout, don't us them much any more, think i'll still do the exhibitions, but not as many, support my local one's and cherry pick the rest.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I’m planning to go to the Black Diamonds event on Saturday, it clashes with the Winchester O scale event unfortunately & isn’t O scale, but its a long drive to Winchester & back. Not good for the environment or me. Anyway I’ve made a big-ticket US purchase which should arrive tomorrow. My ONLY US steam outline loco. It’s B&O, not a personal hygiene problem!

Hope to meet some of you guys…

Dava

65428DAD-D446-4067-9269-C3DCF65E48AF.jpeg.c8abd9242f3a2270067b4e6defe1dd0a.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have anywhere near the space to do any real location on the Interstate any justice. If I did I would model Dorchester Junction and Dorchester tipple itself.

If only I still modelled in N scale!

No, I'll be going for the feel of the railroad and taking inspiration from a bunch of places, but space restrictions dictate that the layout itself will be purely freelance.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Holy thread-o-mancy Batman!

Just a quick update to let you all know that Piedmont Blues and all my O scale collection has been sold to Sophie and room renovations are underway to allow for both the IRR and a tabletop wargaming table to be set up permanently.

Lighting and shelving will need fitting to the room to allow for storage to free up space around the room so that I can measure up the space I'll have to fit the layout.

That will dictate the trackplan and then that will go to The Little Layout Company for them to build the layout. :)

The general deadline for that will be April/May when I should hopefully get a bonus from work that will allow for me to pay for the build.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 months later...