Fiddle yard cassettes

Piemanlarger

This is how I built mine - details of materials etc are included.  They work very well and I have not had any issue with them at all.

The cassettes slide on top of a laminex / melamine board and they have a slippery tape underneath them (can't remember what its called) but used for things like wooden drawer runners to make them run smoothly.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Trevor

Cassette_Construction.docx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For 2ft 6 I just used standard track on 9mm ply cut to length, then use loose Rail joiners to connect to the layout. I used this basic for my last two 4mm layouts and am just doing the same for my new O gauge layout. I don't tend to lift the stock much, instead sliding across the deck. In over 5 years of use I have never had an issue.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dpgibbons said:

Piemanlarger - thanks for the tutorial. Is there a reason why you didn't just space the aluminium angles a suitable distance apart and use them as rails? Non anodised (aka mill finish) aluminium is a good conductor.

I've not done anything yet!

Its someone else 57xx idea.

Cheers

8 hours ago, GWR57xx said:

This is how I did mine:

I'm very pleased with them.

9mm ply with 32 * 32 * 1.6mm non-anodised aluminium angle.

P1160142.JPG.54efafcdeaba52b1e600267a2fb07d65.JPG

Great thank you

On 17/02/2021 at 10:23, dpgibbons said:

Piemanlarger - thanks for the tutorial. Is there a reason why you didn't just space the aluminium angles a suitable distance apart and use them as rails? Non anodised (aka mill finish) aluminium is a good conductor.

Apologies - it was SirBud's document I was addressing

• Like 1

DPG I just thought it much easier to use track that was already perfectly gauged and the same profile as that on the layout which the cassette docks to.  My method doesn't need any accurate measurement and the angles are just acting as stiffeners for the plywood base, keep the cassette track perfectly straight, and provide electrical connections for cassette to cassette and cassette to baseboard.

Best regards,

Trevor

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1