BRM Spring 2021 + Garden Rail 317

Howard Smith

• Moderators

Never has a cover headline been more apt than that of our Spring 2021 issue of BRM, available digitally on pocketmags.com/BRM from Thursday February 18 (on-sale Thursday, February 25 in stores). A 'second life' in which COVID and lockdowns doesn't exist sounds great!

In the case of our Spring issue, the second life refers to 'Retford', the work of the late Roy Jackson, now under safe new ownership with a loyal and dedicated team to complete his legacy. A truly epic task...

Cover.jpg.2ef6f9bb64ed5f3d940e209014e816f3.jpg

Pocketmags digital edition users also get five extra videos, two bonus features, plus Garden Rail issue 317, in which a 30-year project to build a garden railway is highlighted, and much more...

1978597757_p001_GardenRailcover.jpg.6f6613e1ee62b89e3f783d6b68383634.jpg

Don't forget, BRM TV is provided for digital and print subscribers too, featuring 'Retford', die-cast model improvements, and creating a stong base for your layout scenery.

Inside this issue of BRM:

Layouts

Retford (EM). Its future now secured under new ownership, work is set to recommence on this one-of-a-kind ECML masterpiece. Tony Wright explains the story so far...

1126190651_Retford02SPARROWHAWK.jpg.a8a315dd17c4e17c6845d20d9c464197.jpg

Oldbury (OO). From small acorns, great oaks grow – an expression which rings true for Dan Evason, whose first layout commission has garnered him a loyal following...

Oldbury_5.jpg.636823f546b8fd6e2e23419de2b1369d.jpg

Wisteria Collop (OO9). When owning a model shop, Dave Simpson’s route to familiarity of an increasingly popular scale was a layout build, soon to become an addiction...

Feature_7.jpg.9ca6612c257fa14a0ed4eeed16411caf.jpg

Practical BRM

Build a roadworks scene. From the smallest of model accessories, the most interesting of dioramas remain possible, as Jamie Warne proves with this miniature construction...

RW10.jpg.4bd6616ad03eac476430e2d6d8af2f61.jpg

How to build a 3D-printed V2. Bachmann’s RTR V2 is on the horizon, but in the interim, Tony Wright feels this bodyshell is the most accurate-to-date and the fastest route to ownership of Gresley’s 2-6-2 mixed-traffic design...

1373522808_TriceV220.jpg.e62c1911ed3f965657396cc35b72594f.jpg

Weathering rolling stock. Seeking suitably aged and weather-beaten-looking rolling stock for an engineer’s train, Phil Parker unlocks potential from one of Hornby’s new RTR pre-grouping coaches...

2136254347_Hornbycoach.jpg.007941e96ba28dc3040bacae0a0d0895.jpg

How to customise a card kit. Phil Parker upgrades the latest addition to the Metcalfe Models range with sympathetic custom details, transforming it into a structure worthy of even the finest of layouts...

1044867267_metcalfecottage.jpg.8f1de246182de4441880bcd11d16fc0c.jpg

Products and features

Looking to cut the cost of your hobby? Green-fingered modellers can benefit from manufacturing their own scenery, as Howard Smith elaborates...

175644465_prunedbranches.jpg.8d58fd9f58a7af37f788cd76741502cc.jpg

Ambitions for extended vistas might exceed your modelling space, but as Andrew Hicks elaborates, this space-cheating technique has much to offer, if used correctly...

1561784059_forcedperspective.jpg.fc3c32003e42c3ae2f78c48861c47c0c.jpg

Downloadable print-at-home kits are increasing in popularity, though as Andrew Hicks explains, with a little skill, changes can be made to create personalised structures...

kit.jpg.3d9a9ac417633278890f1dfc5e4d2801.jpg

Reviews

Our reviews this issue of the latest model railway locomotives and rolling stock includes:

KR Models GT3...

1A.jpg.c8552c8ef83db02868347fcb04f2b847.jpg

Revolution Trains Class 92...

905115618_Class92.jpg.c2a661c9086bff0e475369bd170f4816.jpg

and EFE Models ZUV 'Shark'...

shark.jpg.5b2bc8e9a5d68ff41610b0096c123550.jpg

All this and much more in the Spring issue of BRM, on-sale Thursday, February 25 in stores, or download the digital edition this Thursday, February 18 from pocketmags.com/BRM

Happy reading and watching!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There seems to be a problem with page 28 on the Exact Editions version - it's slightly bigger than page 29 so the join across the spread is incorrect; also the image resolution is much poorer than p29. Any chance it could be corrected?

Good mix of articles otherwise :)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The video is superb. Those long sequences from the Retford part where all you hear is the train are brave and work very well.

I'm particularly impressed by those long continuous shots where the camera follows the trains quite smoothly. I wonder what the set-up was for that?

Edited by Mikkel
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

There seems to be a problem with page 28 on the Exact Editions version - it's slightly bigger than page 29 so the join across the spread is incorrect; also the image resolution is much poorer than p29. Any chance it could be corrected?

Hi Rich,

Thanks, we'll get this sorted on Monday when our designer is back from a well-earned holiday break.

Best,

H

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

There seems to be an issue with a lot of the pages that I've tried.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Howard Smith said:

A smooth camera operator :)

H

Very smooth! I thought the camera was on a dolly track or similar. Whoever filmed it should apply to film the sprints in the Tour de France :)

• RMweb Premium

I’ve only had time for a quick look so far, but on a serious note I wanted to acknowledge the way @Tony Wright has written the Editorial - I think the wording and tone of his writing is spot on: recognising and explaining some of the wider context and consequences of the pandemic, outlining the legacy of Roy Jackson’s Retford and at the same time offering words of hope and encouragement.  Achieving all this in just a few words (presumably written some weeks ago) is impressive.  Yes, this may be a hobby to many of us, but it can also be something that offers more, and I think Tony (whom I do not know personally) has captured this very well.  Thank you Tony - today I feel privileged to be a BRM subscriber.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

I’ve only had time for a quick look so far, but on a serious note I wanted to acknowledge the way @Tony Wright has written the Editorial - I think the wording and tone of his writing is spot on: recognising and explaining some of the wider context and consequences of the pandemic, outlining the legacy of Roy Jackson’s Retford and at the same time offering words of hope and encouragement.  Achieving all this in just a few words (presumably written some weeks ago) is impressive.  Yes, this may be a hobby to many of us, but it can also be something that offers more, and I think Tony (whom I do not know personally) has captured this very well.  Thank you Tony - today I feel privileged to be a BRM subscriber.

Good evening Keith,

What kind and gracious words. 

Mind you, 'Pride comes before a fall'! The third line of my 'Welcome' contains an example of tautology; I've used 'have' twice. 

Despite my proof reading it at the writing stage, the subbing stage and the PDF stage, my blooper has got through. It's also been read by at least three other pairs of eyes. Doh! 

Location, Wirral? Where abouts, please? 50 years ago I taught in Birkenhead, travelling daily from Chester (my home at the time).  

Kindest regards,

Tony. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ScRSG said:

Just received my subscribers email for the new issue and I am afraid the link to BRMTV is not working, just says "Loading"!

Sorry to hear about that, could you please try again, and if still no luck, please send me a PM? We know it's working for others...

H

Postal edition.
Last page, almost, 'Buffer Stop' and the bottom photo..
"With time on our hands, we're sorting out some old photographs. 
This one, of the R.H & D. Rly is from the early 1980's"
Uhmn, how much time did you have? :jester:
There's always some nit picker.
Meanwhile, Retford, terrific.

• Administrators
22 hours ago, Penlan said:

Postal edition.
Last page, almost, 'Buffer Stop' and the bottom photo..
"With time on our hands, we're sorting out some old photographs. 
This one, of the R.H & D. Rly is from the early 1980's"
Uhmn, how much time did you have? :jester:
There's always some nit picker.
Meanwhile, Retford, terrific.

Sadly, the bottom photo of the sidebar was wrong in the final check copy, and then the change made only compounded the error. On the plus side, the RHDR photo is larger than it would otherwise have been.

And the missing photo is this:

Main pic (2).jpg

I'm a bit sad about this and the Tri-ang 3F is my very first model locomotive and it has missed out on a magazine appearance. To follow up the text on the page, as far as I'm concerned, it's priceless.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

The Retford article brought back memories of the clubs annual pilgrimage to see Roy and the progress made upon his Retford layout, once the initial running section was over Roy would let any other EM gauge modeller run their stock. On one such occasion I  took along my  single motor kitbuilt DJH Garrett, built as an oil burner towards the end of its life, this was put on one of the longest freight trains and it did four laps of the the layout.

Roy used to say that some of the visiting  kitbuilt locos wouldn't do the distance! the ones I took did and I have a video of the Garrett pulling the train, and another video of my train of fifteen Scalecraft Roadrailers  behind Roy's loco as well. The photos show the Garrett at rest on Retford, and the Roadrailers on my old Trafalgar Yard layout, since sold on.

Picture 343.jpg

Picture 442.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1