Semi Rebuilt Spam Can

locomad2

Someone must have tried this before, putting a unrebuilt West Country or Battle of Britain body onto rebuilt one. With the cost of the un-rebuilt ones fetching silly prices even just for the bodies, so I  looked around for a suitable body. Found in the scrap box a complete Kitmaster kit, reasonable built, with a few bits missing.  No doubt part of a "box of bits" purchased under the counter for next to nothing or just given away in car park after the show or toy fair.

20210216_191604.jpg.2bf7ddea5bed38459018a72d65e991e4.jpg

Few minutes later after the screwdriver split the glue body /  chassis comes apart, just placed on top of a Triang Wrenn chassis to decide good fit, does it look right? etc

20210216_193448.jpg.2b25966e89b52d50533b59f3cda173cc.jpg

Yes more work to do the cylinders are angled raise body or cut ?. Position of body forward/back ? Too much overhang from Ringfield. Fit front buffer beam, or lengthen it a bit, since it is a "neverwas" prefer to get it to look right than actual diagram cause there was never one. Tender looks ok. Only other issue it will lose some weight but then they were light weights 

• Like 2

I stuck an A4 chassis under mine, less valve gear and fitted with BFB wheels. Still to finish of course.

Slipping is true to prototype....

Wrenn bodies were on sale on eBay recently, but I don't know if they are still available

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

I did something similar many years ago, using two Airfix/Kitmaster bodies cut and joined through the firebox to make a Merchant Navy, mounted on a Wrenn chassis with the valve gear removed. I didn't widen the cab, although I really should have. The smoke deflectors were enlarged, and the body profile widened and curved a little more using very hot water. For the tender, I added sheet brass overlays. The end result is shown below.

24460610898_27aafdc03b_k.jpg

Merchant Navy 35015 Blue - 1 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

• Like 5

1 hour ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

34110 would be the loco to model, as there were supposedly plans to build it with conventional valve gear as a comparison with the other locos. In the end it came out with the chain driven gear like the others. 

Thanks knew somewhere I read and almost sure seen a picture of one with conventional value gear but retaining the cladding which I was led to believe could be put though coach washing plants

Getting there

20210217_004619.jpg.1b153a3883e955ecf64b7f6dd562de63.jpg

• Like 2

AFAIK the carriage washing plant was just an excuse for streamlining air-smoothing. I have a feeling that a steam locomotive and washing plant would be somewhat incompatible.... There were serious shortages of materials while they were being built and the less than successful chain driven valvegear was a result of this.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, Golden Fleece 30 said:

I don't know what you are actually trying to do as a Neverwazza.  In real life un-rebuilt locos never had outside valve gear.  If this is your own design of how it might have looked then leave the cylinders horizontal as they are now.

Garry

Wasn't there a proposal to fit at least one unrebuilt loco with outside Walschaerts in the early/mid 50s due to ongoing issues with chain drive and oil baths? I forget where I saw this but couldn't 100% swear to it without a literature reference.

David

42 minutes ago, David_Belcher said:

Wasn't there a proposal to fit at least one unrebuilt loco with outside Walschaerts in the early/mid 50s due to ongoing issues with chain drive and oil baths? I forget where I saw this but couldn't 100% swear to it without a literature reference.

David

There might have been a proposal but it was not actually done. Someone said there was a photo or drawing about it but if a photo was seen then it was an edited one as it never existed. 

Garry 

17 minutes ago, Silverfox17 said:

There might have been a proposal but it was not actually done. Someone said there was a photo or drawing about it but if a photo was seen then it was an edited one as it never existed. 

Garry 

Yup, just a line drawing of a proposal, I think. Possibly Brian Haresnape's book?

David

• 4 weeks later...

I gather there were problems with the chains stretching due to the non-availability of the correct materials. Again we had just finished one war and got dragged into another. We just had to have our own atomic bomb and similar expensive and useless rubbish as well....