Parkside (Ratio) GWR Seating Kits (PA433) - oversized moulding?

These have been around for ages, recently supplied in new Parkside packaging and recommended for use with the Ratio/ Parkside Coach Kits GWR 4 wheel Coach kits PA610, 612, 613.

The picture of the pack cover shows the seat backs topping out at 73% of the interior height of the compartment, whereas the actual measurements tell a different story. Seat Height 21mm vs interior height 25mm (84%).

The other issue with this kit is the Back-to-back (literally in this case) of the seats excluding any inter-compartment wall this is 4.4mm.

776108577_PC433Measurementsr.jpg.309f51b3edcfbb5ada7f07ad62477fd7.jpg

As there are occasional upload issues I'm continuing in a 2nd post

Edited by BWsTrains

Continuing....

Turning to a preserved GWR 31' four wheel coach (GWR 416, Didcot) for some help with seating dimensions in 3rd Class, the seat backs can clearly be seen to fit totally within the inter-compartmental framing (i.e. they don't extend into the window space). This makes them no wider than 8.5in at any point or ~2.8 mm at 1:76 scale.

My Ratio kit has inter-compartmental framing bars of 2.35mm and the discrepancy probably reflects my measurements of GWR 416 from a photo.

Regarding seat height, the GWR 416 Didcot photo shows the seat tops at 67% of floor to roof edge height leaving me with seats far too wide and far too tall for my kits. A search here has not turned up this issue which surprised me given the longevity and popularity of these coach kits.

All that remains is to turn to radical surgery to fix this lot up.

I don't think they were originally meant for the GWR four wheel coaches.

There's enough in a pack for a bogie coach. 

This pack contains enough seating for an 8 compartment coach - 520mm.

I think you are really looking at them being made to fit this rather than anything GWR.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/80825/parkside_models_pc710_midland_lms_48_suburban_third_non_corridor_coach_plastic_kit/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

OK, perhaps I was misled somewhere or by someone along the way.

Would those coaches you quote be that much taller to accommodate the extra height implied by these seats, allow room for the photos /advertisments and luggage rack above? I found a pic on here of a GWR 4 wheel brake alongside a more modern coach and they looked to be much the same running height.

• RMweb Premium

They were introduced possibly as far back as the early 1970’s as a generic seat strip for their coach range including the Midland (as mentioned above) and LNWR vehicles, rather than for specific models. 
By aggressive sanding you can take away a large element of the seat moulding thickness, then fix them back to back as in your picture and add any partition profile to the tops of the seat.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Due to the World Wide Shortage of peco-sourced products before xmas I ended up trying my hand at 3d designing some seats to pimp a couple of 4-wheelers I wanted my terrier to pull without feeling completely embarrassed.

Yes it does require access to a 3d printer (thanks to the lovely lady for a 50th birthday present) and I'm pretty amateur at this, but I was able to produce something just as seat-like as the aforementioned seating kits, which I could customise to the width of my coaches rather than slicing as you do with the kit.

Please don't hate me for my crimes against modelling (or the use of a Hornby 4-wheeler), but applaud instead the vaguely creative use of modern techniques!

Pictures show that I built the 3d models in the freebee software you get with Windows10 and then the resulting unpainted bits just resting in a "coach" before painting/gluing.

image.png

image.png

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Why all the technology? Pre-grouping seating seems to have been less curvaceous. Cardboard or plastic card partitions, with seats and seat backs from more of the same or balsa wood can be made easily to fit your model. If you are able to use a computer and standard paper printer, you can make patterned seat coverings and also the adverts or maps found on the walls above.

KESR 4wh SECR carriage interior 7 8 2014.jpg

KESR carriages Tenterden 7 8 2014.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Curvaceousness (of seats, stop that giggling at the back, there) depended on class, and the more curvaceous classes had thicker window separation to hide it behind, which the one size fits all (or not, sometimes) Ratio/Parkside strip does not cater for; if, like me, you model a lot of kits of non-gangwayed compartment stock you will be well aware of this.  PMP’s solution of taking material from the back of the strip is as easy and effective as any other, but seating is easily folded out of card for situations where this is not suitable. 

The new issue of Model Rail (284) has an article on building and basic detailing of the MR coaches as a generic colliery coach. It includes building an interior using the seats and a method of making the body removable.

Regarding the GWR coaches. When I built mine years ago I just put partitions in. ISTR that you can't really see if there are seats or not. I probably would fit them now, but as a skint teenager I wasn't spending money on things like seats if I could get away with it.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

The Ratio-Parkside  3rd class 4-wheeler is  similar to its Taff Vale Railway equivalent. In this case, however, the seat backs  only came as high as  the  middle of the door window.  Above that, it was an open carriage, for the length of the vehicle. I would also be inclined to make the seats out of card, with overlays to give you the contours and a degree of strength.  

Dolls house material  for seat coverings, perhaps? 

Edit:- Dolls House Emporium. Wallpaper MD41180 & MD41181 might do the trick. 

Edited by tomparryharry
Information

1 hour ago, phil_sutters said:

Once upon a time, I think that there were ready-printed carriage interiors, around the time of the original Kitmaster coaches perhaps.

I've a feeling that they may still be available - if not, I've seen plenty on Ebay.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I gave up on the Ratio seating a long time ago. I think there is some of my original pack somewhere, still cluttering the place up.

The Peco printed sheets were introduced at roughly the same time as the Kitmaster kits and duplicate the uneven 1st class seating in the CK. These are quite reasonable, but need the seats to be curved and the compartment windows glazed (avoid any sort of acetate!) The printed mesh in the BSK also requires replacing with something see-through (I use mosquito netting).

IIRC the GWR 3rd class seating was wooden. (Ferrovie dello Stato was keen on this (the dreaded 'centoporte'). I can testify to the comfort (or rather lack of) of these horrors. They were originally 3rd class, but were 'upgraded' to 2nd by the simple procedure of sticking a '2' on the doors.)

My various Ratio GWR Coach kits are being bashed (slowly) into Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Railway Company (ex-LSWR) 4 wheelers. This has involved a lot of cut and shut to recreate the Saloon and other compartment combinations favoured by LSWR, as I'm sure those of you following my Blog will already know.

:jester:

I believe wooden seats were not used on the LSWR, even in third so that's not an issue. WC&PR Coaches were noted for their comfort of ride in both 1st and 2nd Class (ex LSWR 3rd). Second Class was upholstered in Red / Black moquette. (quotes from Peter Strange's book)

Edited by BWsTrains

8 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I've a feeling that they may still be available - if not, I've seen plenty on Ebay.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

You can print your own. They are on the Kitmaster website.

ISTR that Peco gave permission to use them as long as it's for personal use and not commercial.

http://www.kitmaster.org.uk/pecocoachint.htm

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1