3D Printed Passengers

I wanted to ivestigate the possibility of 3D Printing, in quantity, some 4mm scale passengers for a coach. There are some collections of .stl models available for a price which I am too mean to consider. Trying to model them from scratch was also deemed too much effort.

A search of the internet led me to this article: https://www.16mm.org.uk/2021/01/01/january-2021-3d-printed-passengers-for-open-coaches/

Inspired by that article I downloaded MakeHuman and started to have a play. The range of clothing is fairly limited as are hairstyles, however when adding them and then exporting to .stl for printing they were badly non-manifold. MakeHuman comes with a number of predefined poses which are what I used, however it also has the ability for the figures to be imported into Blender and posed there.

In the end, as an experiment, I exported the unclothed figures and spent time trying to resize them then printed them on my Anycubic Mono X with 0.02 layer height:

IMG_3757.JPG.043b8a160b850dea6b6955a8e4dc2c72.JPG

I thought that these might make a useful starting point so my plan at present is to print them several times larger, modify them with Milliput, then use photogrammetry to scan them back in, resize and print.

Another option worth investigating is a piece of software called MB-Lab which does something similar.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Interesting work, Mike, I too had a go at this a few years ago and produced a sprue of half a dozen 7mm scale Victorian figures using a mashup of available files like top hats, figures manipulated in Blender and then in Sketchup. In the end Shapeways couldn't to print the sprue as there were too many errors and I never returned to finally fix it. I agree absolutely with what you are saying about a lack of available models and parts, there are so many variables esp if you want to model particular eras of clothing. Now I do my own printing at home (Photon S) I'll return to it one day, my ideal was to print some carriage seats complete with passengers already sitting on them, to go into Victorian compartments. The detail doesn't need to be amazing but they need to look right and have plenty of variations, it turned out to be much harder to achieve than I expected. I began to think that phtogrammetry from life sized figures in suitable clothing was possibly the easiest way to go, such as Modelu already does.

Edited by 5D_Stoke

• RMweb Gold

I had a play with Makehuman trying to make a figure to drive a narrow gauge simplex. I was able to mock up the seat and brake handle in Blender and then use the rigging of the figure exported from Makehuman to position the figure to sit and hold the brake. The limitation was the quality of the cloths which were very much designed for the cyberpunk games industry more than railway modellers, I could make a figure in jeans and T-Shirt or a business suit but not find any suitable overalls.

I'll admit to finding some of the options in Makehuman 'NSFW' particularly when you start altering the size of female figures...

image.png.8b8ecb8713183975c0982e5c79761929.png

David

• Informative/Useful 1

Continuing the experiment I have modified the initial pose of the female figure slightly and printed it off on the Mono X. Slightly bigger than I envisaged but should make it easier to rescan:

IMG_3763.JPG.6f21d2bfe095c279a0b4f899febfa007.JPG

Next job is to start hair styling and dressing in late 30's style. Will be using this as a reference:

IMG_3764.JPG.bfff3ce74ec51bd3c0040173e218d910.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Mike I was aware you have quite the range of skills sir, but didn't realise hairstyling was amongst these :)

On a secondary note and perhaps a bit of a steep learning curve but have you heard of marvellous designer, a 3d application for creating clothing for characters, might be a bit pricey though, and its quite a steep learning curve Im going to use it to do the seat upholstery in the Howldens when I get round to detailing the interiors.

Thanks.

As far as modelling the base figure and rescanning I hit problems with getting the epoxy putty thin enough to add things like shoes so I ended up with a rethink.

In the end I added a 1930's hairstyle and dress to the original MakeHuman generated stl. Good enough for 4mm:

IMG_3825.JPG.b34905dd29a59ad54a851da49b8c1438.JPG

IMG_3827.JPG.6481ff734dc9f3affbf12342c4cc68d3.JPG

In reality the figures are bare foot, but I suspect on painting it will not be obvious.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Made some changes to poses which together with mirroring the model in the slicer gives a number of variations. Hopefully careful painting will give more variety:

IMG_3828.JPG.9d1e2b594a29252a345d05d736deb758.JPG

IMG_3829.JPG.043febbc6870c22b30ddc3008a150a3e.JPG

IMG_3830.JPG.602c89440542a883bc5f9830ebf88339.JPG

Some additional cleanup would not go amiss.

I think I have as many as I need so if anyone fancies having a go here are the stl files. Figures are low resolution.

Basic Female Sitting Cross Legged.stl Basic Female Sitting Looking Ahead.stl Basic Female Sitting Looking Right.stl Basic Male Sitting Looking Ahead.stl Basic Male Sitting Looking Right.stl

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Mike

Did you use photogrammetry in the end? If so could you explain what you used please? I tried it about 3 years ago but the software I used was fine in the demo but was next useless in a practical solution.

• 1 month later...

If you folks want to make figures have you tried Daz Central? Its a free bit of software that allows you to make males and females and pose them, however the clothing is limited unfortunately https://www.daz3d.com/dazcentral

I have used it in the past for work, the posing is a bit of a headache, but once you get the hang of its ok, and there are tutorials on Youtube for using it.

• Like 1