Lulwind Bay

Welcome to Lulwind Bay somewhere one the south coast. The location is vague because the layout is meant to provide somewhere to run my collection of southern (and some western) region locos and rolling stock. 
The layout is a lockdown project whilst I am furloughed. I do not pretend any great modelling merit or accuracy. It is just intended for my own amusement and is as basic and as simple as can be . LW is analogue controlled by an old H& M controller. There are no isolating sections . Isolation is made by the points all of which are hand operated. I am no electrician and past experience of point motor faults has not been good. 
In the past I used to model the Norfolk Southern in the USA. Many American modellers use walkaround controllers and hand thrown points on the basis that they are replicating the train crew on the real thing and I still use that concept since my return to UK modelling . 
LB is built on a floating shelf from A well known DIY provider of meatballs. The layout is 7 ft long and 10 ins wide  with a 3 road fiddle yard . Another throwback to my American modelling is that I make no attempt to hide the fiddle yard . I stage  trains in the yard and run them onto the scenic part of the layout. I know the trains don’t go anywhere or come from anywhere . My imagination provides the necessary illusion and as LB is intended for my own amusement it doesn’t worry me  . 
when I modelled us railroads I had a fully semi Ed staging track on which I placed freight cars and I do something similar on LB though the yard has no scenery. 
In fact there is very little scenery, the track is peco code 100 much of which has been used before. Ballast is fine grey stone from a war game supplier , station platforms are Dapol and the station building is a heavily modified and extended Hornby platform shelter inspired by (but not modelled on) the original buildings at Seaton before the 1930s rebuilding. 
The layout is vey basic but gives me pleasure . I hope it may be of some interest to you

0B37BFC7-729B-4A54-8DDF-31B4553B3005.jpeg

D0E56C37-4CDA-4FA3-A052-1E134ECE45ED.jpeg

8FFE5184-DD28-4CF0-BA0A-1F8F6AD8EB5D.jpeg

A8D1B9DD-5D87-4A9D-85EE-1BCD5528B2B2.jpeg

2A4CAE01-5908-4041-A607-97738E2E7F4A.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, TechnicArrow said:

That last shot with the EMU simply oozes southern flavour! The Hornby shelter extension looks good, and the track layout looks like it gives plenty of operational interest. Good work!

Just a point - the unit is Hampshire DMU not a 3rd rail electric. One regular use was on what is now the mid-Hants south of Alton then on south down the SW main line.

• Informative/Useful 1

Thankyou for the kind comments.

The inspiration for the photo of the demu was swanage which sadly I only knew in its last few months before closure.

i have always had a soft spot for Thumpers as I used to travel on them regularly from Ashford to Greatstone in the sixties andfrom Tonbridge to T Wells West and to Uckfield in the seventies and eighties. 
I have a green liveried demu with the V at the guards end as a reminder of those trips on the New Romney branch. From our bungalow window you could see a train leave Lydd Town and make its way towards Dungeness disappear for a while and then come back into view as it approached Greatstone halt and the on toward New Romney.Sadly all that is left of that Greatstone now is the approach road. 
Happy days

I will post a track plan and a few more photos later 

thanks again for the kind remarks 

Here is track plan 

plus couple more photos.

first is green liveried Thumper as I remember them on New Romney. The second photo is of a class 24 hauling Bullied stock . When I first travelled on New Romney branch steam was on its way out (usually class 2 2-6-2s with 3coach sets). On occasions a class 24 would substitute for a steam loco before the 205s took over ,although I recall on summer sundays six car Hastings units covered the branch services 

52EA528B-4580-467D-87B9-0F5815B77E2A.jpeg

61488F53-2583-41E4-9498-DBC33B76E532.jpeg

D3CC720C-A266-46A8-BD6F-83776BE4216B.jpeg

• Like 5

I haven’t posted for a few days because I have repainted the room in which the railway resides. I was a little worried about paint getting on the layout or damage being caused by covering it with dust sheets. In fact I covered the railway with cling film! Very successful- no damage. I will post a few more photos later.

• Like 1

Hi all

Not much to report as I have spent most of the time this week playing trains(operating the railway). 
Surprisingly for such a small simple layout it provides a lot of operational interest. I don’t operate to any kind of schedule , but  I run a passenger train with a van or two attached. Attaching and detaching a van and shunting it into the bay can be quite complicated.

Even shunting a short goods train of two or three wagons takes some time . 
I have resited the loading gauge and removed the goods shed which I cut in half and is now placed as a low relief store by the coal dump. 
I have also place a water tank left over from a previous layout opposite the disused signal box and a bridge has appeared at the entrance to the staging yard. 
some photos will show the changes I hope

60C70B01-34F2-477A-B55B-B74DF9EB5CF1.jpeg

2214D243-9990-43CF-BE54-65DBAF2C53D2.jpeg

F1681BF4-2921-4826-A325-50F429456852.jpeg

• Like 1

If you look at my photos you won’t see any people on the layout .I have never been a fan of having little people on layouts. The only thing that moves on the railway is the train . Even having model people in static poses doesn’t appeal to me . For the same reason I always try to have the station platform on the non viewing side of the train. After all when the train arrives the doors don’t open and nobody gets on or off. When you look at railway photos how many of them actually have people in them . Not many ,I suggest.

Perhaps I am alone in this view but I’d be interested to see what others think . 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, david51 said:

If you look at my photos you won’t see any people on the layout .I have never been a fan of having little people on layouts. The only thing that moves on the railway is the train . Even having model people in static poses doesn’t appeal to me . For the same reason I always try to have the station platform on the non viewing side of the train. After all when the train arrives the doors don’t open and nobody gets on or off. When you look at railway photos how many of them actually have people in them . Not many ,I suggest.

Perhaps I am alone in this view but I’d be interested to see what others think . 

More great photos of the Standard 3 - one of my favourite locos. You make an interesting point about people on layouts. I read the views of others on this subject in some magazine articles. Many said that people stood in fixed, frozen in time,  "action" poses look wrong. This is a very good point. I do have figures on my layout, Skaleby West, but they are limited and I try to consider non-action poses such as some people sat relaxing on the station benches or a train spotter sat on the bank overlooking the station area. The only exception to this are the station master who is learning against the toilet checking his stop watch and a beekeeper who is stood checking his hive in the cottage garden.

Your layout looks great.

Hi Andyram

thanks for your comments . 
I do have some figures- foot plate crew but none others . 
I thought about figures in natural poses as you suggest  but the man reading his paper is still there after the train has been and gone and still doesn’t move .Even natural still poses the figures never move .  It is a matter of personal taste however . There are no hard and fast rules.

Thanks again 

• Like 1

The latest loco for Lulwind Bay. I bought it on eBay and is one of the old Airfix models but it runs pretty well, better forward than in reverse and it needed a degrease but I am very happy with it. It runs with a Hornby auto trailer and represents that period after the SR lines in the West Country were transferred to the WR. I have photos of one such train at Seaton 

C1F69F25-5D5F-4325-A742-4DE1021300A3.jpeg

• Like 5