Location inspiration; 2 car EMU/DEMU operation

RateTheFreight

Evening all,

I have the kernel of an idea in mind for a small end to end layout in OO for which the main focus would be the operation of 2-car EMU’s or DEMU’s (3rd. Rail) but with the ability to run something else (i.e small loco hauled freight, single car parcel unit or MLV, etc). 

Aside from Croxley Green (already researched) I’d welcome any suggestions of interesting stations on either the Southern Region or the electrified sections of the North East for which 2 car EMU/DEMU operation was prototypical for me to research further. 

Whilst I’m not looking to replicate a real location exactly I’m hoping to take the best parts from suggestions to make my own hypothetical location. 

thanks in advance.

• RMweb Gold

Addiscombe and Bromley North on the SouthEastern section of the southern region were served by 2car EMUs for the bulk of the day but with longer trains during rush hour. Very little if anything else ever visited them though.

Andi

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

During the early-mid 1970s the Brockenhurst-Lymington Pier line was generally operated by a 2-HAP EMU Monday to Friday.  Saturday and Sunday services were rostered for a 4-VEP.

From the end of steam until closure on 3rd January 1972 the Swanage branch from Wareham was operated by a DEMU, almost certainly one of the 3 car 3H (later designated class 205), but there’s no reason to suppose that one of the two car units, 1121 and 1122 from memory, could substitute on occasion.  

Edited by 4630
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The Addiscombe branch might have some potential, particularly if "Rule 1" were to be applied. Addiscombe is close to Croydon and Croydon also saw 2EPB operation on the Wimbledon to West Croydon line and  DEMU operation on the Oxted lines. The old sorting office at East Croydon was almost on top of of East Croydon station so why not project the Addiscome branch further south and try to find a way to bring in the Wimbledon line and or Oxted line with a bit of mail thrown in for good measure? I am sure that as well as the desired MLV on mail, there could be room for a 33 or 73 on say one or two GUVs or BGs. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Not a million miles from Bromley North and Addiscombe - not to mention the Woodside and South Croydon - Waddon Marsh would make a fantastic model : two-car electrics between West Croydon and Wimbledon, a gas works, two power stations and an independent freight line from West Croydon serving the industries ...... that's what I call interesting.

( Or you can go up to date and have trams running through a retail park if you prefer.)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

In the early years of the class 205 DEMUs from 1957-1959 they ran as 2 cars on many routes in the Hampshire area. 

Class 205 sets 1101-1118 were built as 2-car sets in 1957, with sets 1119-1122 also 2-cars  for local services in East Sussex and Kent built in 1958.

Sets 1123-1126 were built as 3-cars in 1959, and sets 1101-1118 strengthened to 3-cars also that year.

As a 'what if?' scenario there had been plans to dieselise branch services in East Devon with DEMUs, though this never took place.

cheers

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps  Swanage from the overbridge to the buffer stops in a part rationalised position  would give a daily service for DEMU - but also 33/4TC and with a small part of the yard modelled then freights could be worked in to the mix, with the runround still in use.

Fawley also offers the opportunity for concept even if a little large.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/f/fawley/index1.shtml

• Informative/Useful 1

Bingham Road on the woodside-Sanderstead line, double track, long platforms and 2 car trains in latter days. Extend the daily oil tanks from Sanderstead to run towards London via the Mid Kent line..and use the line as a weekend diversionary route from Charing Cross to East Grinstead and Brighton.

• Informative/Useful 1

The Medway Valley line - at the Southern End, two car EMUs were run between Paddock Wood and Maidstone West. There were longer trains that ran up to Strood and/or through Paddock Wood to Tonbridge; my memory is hazy as to whether the 8.20 ex Paddock Wood to Tonbridge that came off the branch was 2 or 4 car. There was plenty of freight on the line as well.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Bingham Road would be tricky to provide with scenic breaks : it's all on embankments and the overbridges at - what are now known as - Blackhorse Road and Sandilands are a long way away.

Two stops up the line is Woodside which has the advantage of its own goods yard ( depending on date ) and Addiscombe traffic all day - not to mention a good overbridge scenic break.

93.17.jpg

When I said TWO stops up the line, I'm thinking tramway - it's only ONE stop up the line in railway terms ! ( and, of course 'Bingham Road' is now called 'Addiscombe' - and is at ground level below where the station was ! )

Edited by Wickham Green too
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi G.

Not the north east but the north west, both EMU's and DMU's worked into Liverpool Exchange, Kirkby, Ormskirk and Southport, also the lines in and around Birkenhead. Perhaps you could invent another route to the north of Liverpool or the Wirral.

16703777882_def9dd7c5d_b.jpg.9a5bb840efb6f26a1afbf278798f7530.jpg

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

What time period is in question?

The classic 'station with general freight' became obsolete back in the 60s. You may just be able to get away with all blue units but not blue/grey. There is no reason why it cannot be modelled if you really want, but a sector loco turning up with a mixed freight is not what you would see on most parts of the real railway.

If you wanted something post-TOPS then you will need a re-think with goods. Parcels would have been required where there was a larger population (ie at larger stations) or maybe something small loaded into the guard's compartment.

What would be possible is a company having their own freight terminal. I can think of a coal company having their own sidings either side of a station into the 90s (although not a small terminus) so maybe ballast or oil could also be a possibilty?

• Informative/Useful 1

Horsted Keynes might have been a single unit at times. There were possibly 2-BIL/HAL services in the Guildford-Aldershot area too, but I'm not up on all the routes in that area.

I think most of the other good southern ones are covered above, although what about the last knockings of the Lydd Town line, did that get to DEMU? Certainly Ashford-Hastings was 2H.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, caradoc said:

Has the Sheerness branch ever been operated with 2-car EMUs (eg 2-HAP?) Plenty of freight potential there too !

Yes - the off-peak service was 2 HAP in the 70's and early 80's, but was increased to 4 HAP / CAP (and CEP and VEP) later, and it went to half-hourly from hourly. 

Plenty of freight in that timescale for sure, but not all of it went to Sheerness, so Rule 1 would have to apply.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

50 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I think most of the other good southern ones are covered above, although what about the last knockings of the Lydd Town line, did that get to DEMU? Certainly Ashford-Hastings was 2H.

Yes, page 47 of British Rail Past and Present 20 Kent and East Sussex has a picture of a DEMU at New Romney. But it was a 3H 1116. Headcode 02 for connoisseurs of such things.

• Informative/Useful 2

Have you considered the SER Ashford to Hastings line, and Appledore in particular?

Appledore served as a junction for a branch line to Lydd (extended for freight to Dungeness - originally intended as a new port, but became very useful when the power station opened in 1965 - and to New Romney). 

Steam on the branch was replaced by 2-car DEMU sets in 1962, that continued until withdrawal of passenger services in 1967 (freight continued until 1971).  Separate or bay platforms were not required for the branch services (which frequently ran to and from Ashford).  The station buildings are quite attractive, too.

As my photo of DEMU set 1120 at Appledore in May 1977 shows, Appledore's short (and staggered) platforms restricted the length of trains even on the "main" cross-country line.  Although it wasn't electrified, I see no reason why "modeller's licence" would not allow installation of a third rail, and there is plenty of scope for "interesting" freight workings.

_PICS1981.jpg.4989d4b265a3606fc9d4d29ead36ba83.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Found by Google; stolen from Twitter.

4F6F8F71-BB35-46BD-819A-E13426DCB6FC.jpeg

There are other photos around of this service formed of a single BIL, but I think latterly it was a VEP, rather than a HAP ...... I ought to remember properly, but don’t!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 1