Location inspiration; 2 car EMU/DEMU operation

RateTheFreight

Thinking of which, wasn't the South London Line service at its nadir in the 1970s a single 2-EPB as well?

Yes, I think this is a SLL service leaving (not approaching) London Bridge, and isn't it a Tyneside 2-EPB? https://rcts.zenfolio.com/electric/br/sr-emu-classes-401-499/416-2-epb/hB0F57DDD#hb0f57ddd

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

Bromley North branch off-peak, 2-EPB?

Ditto Tattenham Corner, dividing at Purley?

This is interesting, something I'd forgotten, because I recall the service being a single 2-HAP shuttle from Paddock Wood, when it wasn't a through train dividing at Tonbridge. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36034969@N08/4128291733/

Virginia Water to Weybridge, latterly Staines to Woking, single 2-HAP?? I'm struggling to rember this service properly, despite having seen it hundreds of times!

And, wasn't there a sort of "everywhere" slow train hourly from Charing Cross to Tonbridge, divide, front portion fast to Ashford (rear all stations), divide again with two cars going to Margate, made of a whole string of 2-HAPs? Maybe sometimes one portion to Maidstone West?

Edited by Nearholmer

OT - Most of my time commuting from Paddock Wood was in school hours and ended around the time that the Flickr photo you posted says the conversion to pay trains began. Most trains that I recall did indeed shuttle between Paddock Wood and Maidstone West with the occasional one working through to Strood. One came off the branch and went to Tonbridge very conveniently for school kids but I don't recall a down equivalent; my mate from East Farleigh had to get off and change onto a train in the bay at Paddock Wood. I am fairly sure that we used to get the 4.11 from Tonbridge. most days. (although don't quote me on that, it is after all, a fair few years....!)

I think that at that time, Maidstone West still got portions of trains directly from London via Dartford.

1 hour ago, The Lurker said:

OT - Most of my time commuting from Paddock Wood was in school hours and ended around the time that the Flickr photo you posted says the conversion to pay trains began. Most trains that I recall did indeed shuttle between Paddock Wood and Maidstone West with the occasional one working through to Strood. One came off the branch and went to Tonbridge very conveniently for school kids but I don't recall a down equivalent; my mate from East Farleigh had to get off and change onto a train in the bay at Paddock Wood. I am fairly sure that we used to get the 4.11 from Tonbridge. most days. (although don't quote me on that, it is after all, a fair few years....!)

I think that at that time, Maidstone West still got portions of trains directly from London via Dartford.

Late 70s, 2-HAPs worked singly or in doubles all the way from Strood-Paddock Wood off peak (hourly Strood-PW, and a shuttle Strood-Maidstone W the other half of the hour). The peak/school hours got really confusing though, with some CX-Sidcup-Strood and split for Gillingham/Maidstone, and some coming through from Tonbridge to Maidstone, and some bigger gaps in the normally half-hourly interval between Strood-Maidstone.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...