Attachment of point motors when you raised the track bed

Ighten

Probably a total schoolboy error but I started building a small inglenook and decided for scenic interest to elevate the yard above the board level using contoured layers of foamboard which I will then smooth out woth modroc or sculptamold.. Originally this was going to be a simple little DC hand operated affair but I came across a well priced DCC system and have decided to use the board to also learn some skills with regards to wiring etc..

So I want to automate the points now but how can I even attach a point motor to this style of construction.. Should I start from scratch as surely the wire from the motor to a solenoid or from a tortoise is going to be so long all it will do is flex ..

How far above the baseboard is the track? It isn't very clear from the photos in the link.

I use MTB MP1 point motors. In principle, these could be mounted on the top of the baseboard in a hole in the foamboard layer under the points. On my layout with the MP1s mounted underneath the baseboard, there is a 12mm gap between the motor and the underside of the point. I am pretty sure that the control rod from the motor to the tie bar could deal with a gap significantly bigger than this - certainly 25mm and very likely more - the control rod is surprisingly rigid and does not flex much. Bear in mind that the motor itself is 17mm thick.

If the distance from the top of the baseboard to the base of the track is very large, then I would consider mounting the point motor on a raised solid platform attached to the baseboard.

One concern I'd have is to make sure that the track itself is held firmly in place, otherwise there is a danger that the movement of the point motor would shift the track sideways. I suppose that if the track is not held rigidly, you might have to consider an approach that attaches the motor to the track itself.

Yours,  Mike.

Not a cheap solution, but Tortoise offer a remote mounting kit for their motors which use a steel wire inside a Teflon tube. I have used them on an earlier layout and from memory were OK once set up. They can be mounted up to 18” away.

https://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/tortoise/800-6100_tortoise_remote_tortoise_mount.htm

I’m fairly sure I have some pics somewhere, so I’ll see what I can find.

Edit. Hope this helps.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1

I had the same issue when mounting a Tortoise motor on an elevated section. I guess it was mainly because of bad planning but but I had built the framework & there was some bracing in the way.

My solution was to lay the motor in its side next to the point. It worked as well as mounting it the traditional way.

A platform covered the point motor.

AW_Tortoise01.JPG.6bc0b5acbecd6fb37168aa2141a24e17.JPG

• Informative/Useful 1

32mm is quite a rise.   What apart from the obvious is wrong with a peco motor attached directly under the point?    If you must have the motor a baseboard level the old H&M motors had a bell crank arm about that long,  I think to get reliable operation you will need either a bell crank or possibly a lever pivoted at its mid point to throw the point. the lever can be directly under the tie bar.

A simpe vertical pin 32mm long isn't going to work for long if at all....

• Informative/Useful 1

57 minutes ago, DavidCBroad said:

32mm is quite a rise. 

My thinking is that, for a point motor fitted above the baseboard below the points, this is not a particularly big distance.

For the MP1s that I use, it represents a gap from the top of the motor to the base of the turnout of 15mm. The equivalent distance on my own layout with the motors fitted under the baseboard is 12mm. I don't forsee any problem with this working successfully, unless the track itself is not held firmly and gets moved sideways when the motor switches.

Using physically larger motors like Tortoise can give problems where there is not enough space to mount the motor above the baseboard, requiring an ingenious solution such as that shown by Pete above.

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

Im planning to add a single solid layer of cork to top off the entire yard -- I think the simple solution (just never really thought of it) is to use a simple peco motor attached to the point.. I cant see it ever moving - even the layers of foam seem to have set like concrete so the cork and track with gorilla glue should be fine.. I just was under the impression the motor had to be secure to the board.. MAny thanks again

3 hours ago, Ighten said:

Im planning to add a single solid layer of cork to top off the entire yard -- I think the simple solution (just never really thought of it) is to use a simple peco motor attached to the point.

That would work if the foam is thick enough. Cut a hole in the board directly below it so you can drop the motor out for repair or replacement if required otherwise you'll be lifting track if one ever fails. 

• Informative/Useful 1