Hornby Gresley Coach Derailing

Steve51769

This may have been covered before but I cannot find it in the search facility. I have two rakes of the newer (more expensive) Hornby detailed Gresley coaches. However, whilst they look really good they are driving me mad. They constantly derail - usually mid-set on points and crossings where none of my other coaches, mainly Bachman or older Hornby, derail. I’ve checked the back to backs with a gauge and they’re fine, the wheel sets are exactly the same as I’ve renewed in my other older coaches. Occasionally I find that the auto-aligning bar has dropped out of its runner, but that is not often. Help, can anyone suggest a cure as I am rapidly losing patience with them. TIA Steve

Thanks for the suggestions. The coaches roll freely and the B2Bs are correct - I've supected the tension couplings on the auto aligners are the issue. However, I've followed Russ' suggestion and clipped 1mm off the bottom of the lift bars on the coupling hooks. This has made a great difference - they are not 100% better yet but no longer derail constantly on points and crossovers. I might try the Hunt couplings too - perhaps mounted on the bogie and dispense with the auto-aligner. I have had similar issues with the old Bachmann/Mainline couplings in the past, but even cutting the lifting bar on them does not always cure them. The chunky hooks seem to hold the coaches too tightly together preventing sufficient sideways play on crossovers.    

2 hours ago, Steve51769 said:

Thanks for the suggestions. The coaches roll freely and the B2Bs are correct - I've supected the tension couplings on the auto aligners are the issue. However, I've followed Russ' suggestion and clipped 1mm off the bottom of the lift bars on the coupling hooks. This has made a great difference - they are not 100% better yet but no longer derail constantly on points and crossovers. I might try the Hunt couplings too - perhaps mounted on the bogie and dispense with the auto-aligner. I have had similar issues with the old Bachmann/Mainline couplings in the past, but even cutting the lifting bar on them does not always cure them. The chunky hooks seem to hold the coaches too tightly together preventing sufficient sideways play on crossovers.    

I wouldn’t suggest deactivating the auto aligner (CCM). These CCM actually work really well, but you need to use a fixed bar to get the benefits. I was so impressed I’ve now changed about 1300 tension locks on my stock. It’s a massive improvement. For me, the Hunt magnetic are great.{I’m not interested in remote uncoupling}.

Edited by miles73128
  • Agree 2

Personally I used Roco 40270 (bulk 40271) couplings. This creates a rigid bar. No problems with derailing at all over mainline or yard pointwork, although there are problems on friends layouts when curves might a be tad below second radius, or the trackwork is not level.

The advantage of using these (admitedly not cheap) couplings is that I can then use the supplied Hornby 'roco style' couplings with my Bachmann Mk1s in an equally successfull manner, and due to the slightly further NEM pocket setting on the Bachmann Mk1s, they hold the coachs nicely together. And yes I can then coupling my gresleys to my Mk1s.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

As well as trimming the bottom extremities of the coupling hook dropper, it is worth spending a little time filing the rough cut corners so that they are rounded; this will make them less likely to catch on crossings and trip the bogie up.  If the droppers do foul on anything they will of course lift slighlly, which may cause unplanned uncoupling, in which case the answer (assuming you want to retain tension locks) is to trim a little more off the bottom of the droppers.  I have done this to several of mine to enable them to reliably clear a barrow crossing that stands a micron or so proud of the railheads, and have no resultant issues with the couplings, which work in the same way as they previously did.

• Agree 3

Right, final update. I took miles73128 advice and used some spare Bachmann fixed couplings (shaped like vac pipes) that I had acquired with some Mk1s. Result - closer coupling, smoother running through curves and no derailing . Thanks to those who responded. One happy bunny here :) 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1