How easy would it be to change a Hornby TGS into a loco hauled brake vehicle used by GWR on the night Riviera? I'm thinking 17173, 17174 and 17175, forally in use on the WCML?

Ok, thank you for your reply. I am new to this forum, and, this is my first post. I travelled on all 3 carriages when in use with Virgin West Coast back in the late '90's. I have also travelled on 2 of them in use with GWR on the night Riviera. I always thought they were a bit of an anachronism due to the 82/1 DVT's then in use on the WCML, but, they now have seem to find their way so to speak.

I currently have 2 class 57/ 6 models, so want an accurate train to put behind them, ranging from the motorail vans, to the mk2 and mk3 mixture, to the pure mk3 rakes.

The BFO had a much bigger guards/van space than the TGS

The TGS has 7 full size windows then a normal pillar to a small window, a van space and the door and a 1/3rd .

The BFO has 6 full size windows a wider pillar than normal, a full width window the van space and the door and a 1/3rd.

The BFO, being a MK3b has integral tail lights whereas the TGS is plain. There is also some differences in the underframe modules.

The roof should be the same.

Recently an extra window has been added to the van space in at least 17173.

There are several threads on the BFO, they were originally planned to test 125mph running for ECML hauled stock with the Class 89. When this was swapped for the 140mph Mk4 and 91s they were orphaned but then seen as solving a problem with the 1st only Manchester Pullman (and advertised as being built for it). Due to the delays in construction this became irrelevant as the MP went dual class. The were used as the only brake vehicle in the Glasgow portion of the 1986/87 Clansman, otherwise they were used as extra FO's. Generally guards tended to use these as opposed to any NHA BG tacked on the end as the ride was better - it only stirred the tea rather than spill it.

Edited by Bomag
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 18/02/2021 at 15:00, Bomag said:

The BFO had a much bigger guards/van space than the TGS

The TGS has 7 full size windows then a normal pillar to a small window, a van space and the door and a 1/3rd .

The BFO has 6 full size windows a wider pillar than normal, a full width window the van space and the door and a 1/3rd.

The BFO, being a MK3b has integral tail lights whereas the TGS is plain. There is also some differences in the underframe modules.

The roof should be the same.

Recently an extra window has been added to the van space in at least 17173.

There are several threads on the BFO, they were originally planned to test 125mph running for ECML hauled stock with the Class 89. When this was swapped for the 140mph Mk4 and 91s they were orphaned but then seen as solving a problem with the 1st only Manchester Pullman (and advertised as being built for it). Due to the delays in construction this became irrelevant as the MP went dual class. The were used as the only brake vehicle in the Glasgow portion of the 1986/87 Clansman, otherwise they were used as extra FO's. Generally guards tended to use these as opposed to any NHA BG tacked on the end as the ride was better - it only stirred the tea rather than spill it.

AFAIK all BFOs had 6 windows then a large pillar then another window on each side, then FGW put in an 8th on the corridor side, and then it was removed when the coaches were converted to BSOs during 2018 refurbishment, at which point the buffet was extensively refurbished, and the TSO had disabled facilities put in.

Edited by Mackenzie546
made it a bit easier to understand