Short HYA, by Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Appropriate that the graffiti vandalised wagon appears to now wear the logo 'FS,' although not for the Italian State Railway, I judge. 

The tag is actually "FOS" - not an uncommon sight on railway vehicles in the North West

The Garfield pic is at Peak Forest - the wagon below is another PF working at Salford

(Pic from Flickr)

HYA 371021 | 6J46 0851 Peak Forest Cemex - Hope St Peakstone P.Sdgs | Salford Central

(Another in the "to-do" file)

Edited by newbryford
Pic added
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Northmoor MPD said:

190624-044  Graffiti covered HYA Bogie hopper No. 371020 modified for aggregates use. Many of these former coal hoppers are now being used for aggregates and are receiving 'cut & shut' modification, which involves cutting around three metres (ten foot) from the centre, then welding the two sections back together. With aggregates being heavier than coal, the hoppers can still hold the same in weight, but with around three ton saved on the weight of each hopper.

Graffiti project anyone...:sarcastichand:

Have to admit I’m quite impressed with this graffiti/art work. Looks like they’ve tried to stick to the main vertical face keeping it within the lines :D

Limited edition run Accurascale? ;)

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Pegleg90 said:

Have to admit I’m quite impressed with this graffiti/art work. Looks like they’ve tried to stick to the main vertical face keeping it within the lines :D

Limited edition run Accurascale? ;)

I can just imagine Fran discussing intellectual property rights with the "artist"

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, KDG said:

I can just imagine Fran discussing intellectual property rights with the "artist"

The perpetrator is unlikely to come forward to claim his IP rights as it will reveal their identity to the authorities.

I once copied some graffiti from a JNA Falcon (my pic) and posted both pics of prototype and model on RMweb.

A couple of years later, they both appeared on a graffiti website as a tribute to the "artist" who had passed away.

No photo credits, as these graffiti guys have very few morals.

Hence - my shameless copying of their activities in return.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

3 minutes ago, newbryford said:

The perpetrator is unlikely to come forward to claim his IP rights as it will reveal their identity to the authorities.

I once copied some graffiti from a JNA Falcon (my pic) and posted both pics of prototype and model on RMweb.

A couple of years later, they both appeared on a graffiti website as a tribute to the "artist" who had passed away.

No photo credits, as these graffiti guys have very few morals.

Hence - my shameless copying of their activities in return.

Very true Mick. I was posting with tongue firmly in cheek. In my opinion they're fair game for modellers to copy. Manufacturers probably have to consider such things, as they do it for financial gain, and don't wish to create "difficulties" for themselves.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Thanks for the info Tom. I've managed to find a couple for sale @ under £70 but as it's just a basic 'Railroad' model I don't know whether to go for it or wait in the hope Bachmann / Hattons do the livery at some point in the future.

Graham

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, bartram108 said:

Thanks for the info Tom. I've managed to find a couple for sale @ under £70 but as it's just a basic 'Railroad' model I don't know whether to go for it or wait in the hope Bachmann / Hattons do the livery at some point in the future.

Graham

I really do not think it is worth that. It a 20 year old Lima model with a new motor. Performance and specification are well below current standards.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 18/02/2021 at 14:41, Mick Bonwick said:

I'm so pleased that I don't model the modern scene. :lol:

These look splendid, guys, so very well done.

Totally agree Mick.  Twelve months ago I was thinking Accurascale weren't of much use to me.  But then they announced the 21 tonner and Coil A, and now the Manor.  all of a sudden the game has totally changed. The A/S style hints to me that the Anhydrite hopper might appear in bulk deals for hanging behind 9Fs but more importantly a really nice 45T oil tank initially with vacuum brakes for all that transition steam action, then updated with air brakes.

My wish would be the bogie Coil carriers in the B9495xx number range, as ideal bedfellows with the recently announced Coil A. I think they were Coil K or Coil T and were short bogie wagons not taking up much space, were dual braked and some lasting quite well into the Railfreight "red stripe" era.  Flows from Hamworthy docks to Swindon as well as South Wales into the Black Country were a couple of flows I remember. 

EDIT

I have just realised Accurascale are offering the JSA bogie coil carrier - which is at odds with what I suggested above.  As a modeller of the period into the early 1970s.  The JSA wasn't on my horizon, so I apologise. 

Edited by Covkid
Correction
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BR Blue said:

I really do not think it is worth that. It a 20 year old Lima model with a new motor. Performance and specification are well below current standards.

Having looked around at videos / reviews I've come to the same conclusion.

2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Thanks for that, but I thinking more of the chassis which takes most of the weight.

I was looking at this earlier as I am curious about this myself but didn't get any pics close up of the chassis. That pic there does have what could be a weld line on the chassis but it's not obvious.

It is worth noting that because the wheelbase is reduced the chassis doesn't have to be as strong. Despite the gross weight of the wagon being the same, the bending moment in the middle will be reduced as the peak moment on a simply supported beam with distributed load is proportional to the distributed load but to the length squared.

I think the obvious way to ensure strength IF the confidence in a purely welded solution is not there would be to sleeve the chassis longits, or cap top and bottom, to keep stress away from the joint.

I also don't know how load bearing the hopper itself is. If they work more as a monocoque then there is probably a lot of work being done by the hopper as well.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Despite the gross weight of the wagon being the same, the bending moment in the middle will be reduced as the peak moment on a simply supported beam with distributed load is proportional to the distributed load but to the length squared.

Well, I for one, am delighted that we've sorted that out.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

On 18/02/2021 at 20:04, newbryford said:

Whereabouts please?

The HHA is a different animal to a HTA/HRA

Didn't see you edited your post so I didn't get a notification asking for the link.

Is it under the 'Blogs' section on my profile.

regards

Darryl

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

5, some didn't have the handbrake wheels I think (although not sure if that was how they were supposed to be)

that's right. I was after ones with the sliding door with the handbrake handels on the bodyside, as those seem to be the ones that have been converted. Only done four so far. When I'm able to get the transfers I will do another four, and possibly make a rake of 13-14

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Well this last few weeks just proves if Carlesberg made model railway items they would be called Accurascale.

These look great,well done you guys, thanks for all your hard work.

As i drink copious amounts of Carlsberg i fully agree  !

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got a question!

A certain Tonbridge to Avonmouth train had a load of short-cut HYA's in it recently and I thought - a-ha (a.k.a. oh no, more AST* on my income :wink_mini: ) now I have an excuse to buy one or two (i.e. a long rake).

Then, I noticed the coding on their tops and lower sides, reading things like: 37 70 6955…

with VTG branding and ex-First GBRf in at least some cases.

Looking at the Accurascale website, I see the only European numbered ones are 37 70 6791...

In the last few pages and other reading, I see there is mention of cut-down HHA's (which I gather are different to the Accurascale ones).  However, the ones I saw were indeed HYA (read off the lower body), so the question is...

What are they?

Are they just a later batch of the Accurascale ones, a variation of them, HHA's by a different wagon type, or something else?

Modern image is a minefield of choices!

Thanks,

Ixion

* AST = AccuraScale Tax - money which arrives in your income but is pre-allocated to Accurascale models... :O 

• RMweb Gold

There are four different number series in operation for the HYA/IIA fleet, as follows:

371001-371122
Romanian-built HYA-A coal hoppers and cutdown HYA-B (numbers remain the same after rebuild)

37 70 6791 000-093
Romanian-built IIA-A coal hoppers and cutdown HYA-B (numbers remain the same on most wagons after rebuild)

37 70 6957 003-093
Cutdown HYA-B hoppers, ex-Romanian-built IIAs (25 wagons renumbered from 37 70 6791 000-093 by changing 5th-8th digits)

37 70 6955 200-288/290-352
British-built IIA-A coal, IIA-C biomass and cutdown HYA-B aggregate hoppers (numbers remain the same after rebuild) - these are the most recent conversions so we'll revisit these in a future run

hope that helps!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2