Dia C10 Clerestory Third: the budget version....

• RMweb Gold

I love seeing a well done cut and shut Triang Clerestory. Nice job again.

It was your projects which inspired me to have a go. So far I’ve done a C10, D37, two D15’s and a PBV out of Triang Clerestories and a Clifton Downs set out of Ratio 4 wheelers

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm trying to picture Stephen at an extravagant dinner party, formal attire, champagne flowing, and then that smooth opening line: "I once tried to convert a Triang All Third..."

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Prometheus said:

Admirable honesty! You could dine out on that story!!!!

1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

I'm trying to picture Stephen at an extravagant dinner party, formal attire, champagne flowing, and then that smooth opening line: "I once tried to convert a Triang All Third..."

I am available for after dinner speeches, for a modest fee.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

4 hours ago, Mikkel said:

He’d have been on a hiding to nothing of course: they were all fiercely independent Primitive Methodists, even a whiff of Popery and the whole rake would be off into the Welsh hills in a flash.....

Tony

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Ha! I was for a while running the First Holy Communion catechesis for our parish. One girl had been baptised at a now-closed Primitive Methodist chapel - her mother, who was of South American origin if I remember correctly, had separated from her Welsh husband. I did eventually manage to obtain an affidavit confirming an entry in the chapel's register of baptisms. I think I went via the more-sophisticated Methodists to reach the appropriate Primitive contact. It avoided having to have the child conditionally baptised.

• RMweb Gold
On 19/02/2021 at 09:48, Compound2632 said:

Ha! I was for a while running the First Holy Communion catechesis for our parish. One girl had been baptised at a now-closed Primitive Methodist chapel - her mother, who was of South American origin if I remember correctly, had separated from her Welsh husband. I did eventually manage to obtain an affidavit confirming an entry in the chapel's register of baptisms. I think I went via the more-sophisticated Methodists to reach the appropriate Primitive contact. It avoided having to have the child conditionally baptised.

Not sure I saw that episode of Monty Python?

• Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can't escape the religious connections I'm afraid. Some churches have clerestories, I have seen and used a number of Primitive Methods in converting Tri-ang clerestories and continuing the chapel theme, I do believe that I have filled a swear box or two whilst building them, particularly during roof alterations.

I think that I have a V5 PBV, C10, D15 and an ex MSWJ brake. There's also a rumour that you can make a passable ex Cambrian coach out of the composites.

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

There's also a rumour that you can make a passable ex Cambrian coach out of the composites.

Although almost everyone seems to refer to the non-brake Hornby clerestory coach as a "composite", all the compartments are the same size, so I suspect a full second.  This does mean that the only way to create a proper composite is to splice in bits from the brake third, to obtain the different sized compartments appropriate for different classes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Nick Holliday said:

Although almost everyone seems to refer to the non-brake Hornby clerestory coach as a "composite", all the compartments are the same size, so I suspect a full second.  

As far as I can make out, the clerestories as originally issued by Triang carried no markings other than a number, 5017 in the case of the non-brake carriage, in an unprototypical location - left hand end of the lower panel. So to call it a second or a composite or even a first is a matter of intepretation, not something intended by Triang; the compartment spacing is simply set to give a whole number of compartments in the chosen body length. When the carriage was issued in faux-LNER teak, three compartments at one end were marked as firsts; when they came out in red, that went up to four. 

In Triang's defence, when Derby was building 40 ft bogie (non-clerestory) carriages in the late 1870s/early 1880s, there were brake thirds with 6'0"-long compartments but also a large batch of thirds with six 6'6"-compartments, a dimension not repeated until the big clerestory carriages of 1896 onwards.

On 11/03/2021 at 01:25, MrWolf said:

There's also a rumour that you can make a passable ex Cambrian coach out of the composites.

https://srmg.org.uk/cambrian-composite

Whether it's passable or not, it's certainly pretty. Of course, all of the compartments are, incorrectly,  exactly the same size, but I felt that a Composite would be more use than an All-First.

Tony

Edited by Prometheus
  • Like 2