Introducing Nussbach, Swiss RhB in NM9

Nutbrook

After about 20 mins of scribing, then a bit of drybrushing with white, dark grey and a dark yellow colour and a touch of dark green flock it looks like this, 

P1040696.JPG.4a1fe1b81da142e1cf341302d27baf5a.JPG

Edited by Nutbrook
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Great work, and the grey foam is a nice canvas to work with. My stonework is scribed into the blue stuff which added a few steps to get the colour right. This is looking very good. 

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Nutbrook said:

After about 20 mins of scribing, then a bit of drybrushing with white, dark grey and a dark yellow colour and a touch of dark green flock it loP1040696.JPG.c77bf69762a03acca58139617a8bb10f.JPGoks like this, 

Hi Steve,

That looks really promising. 

Have you seen the RhB lines on Google Streetview? You can drop a pin on the lines and explore. 

And also this invaluable website?

http://rhbstations.co.za/

Ian

• Like 1

On 15/03/2021 at 07:21, Frutigen said:

Great work, and the grey foam is a nice canvas to work with. My stonework is scribed into the blue stuff which added a few steps to get the colour right. This is looking very good. 

Cheers Keith. Must admit the grey looks good with just a light brushing of white as seen here. Been experimenting with bridges today and knocked this up, its not quite right as one of the towers in thinner that the other at the top (the jig must have moved a bit). its 25mm wide which is the same width as Kato track bed, however im thinking of sticking some overhanging strip of plastercard on the deck as a lot of RhB bridges seem to have this flat overhang on the tops

P1040743.JPG.3655f67ae1cc559679700ebdb26c9869.JPG

Edited by Nutbrook
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, MrTea said:

Hi Steve,

That looks really promising. 

Have you seen the RhB lines on Google Streetview? You can drop a pin on the lines and explore. 

And also this invaluable website?

http://rhbstations.co.za/

Ian

Thanks for that Ian, been spending a couple of hours studying photos on this website, some great pictures

• 7 months later...

I cannot believe is been March since I last posted. During the summer months little has changed although extensive testing has been ongoing on a weekly / daily basis and a few items of rolling stock has arrived.

Now that the nights are drawing in and the weather in getting wetter and cooler I have made a start on one of the mountains. I must admit that I have read most if not all the topics on the Swiss group and there is some excellent advice that I have used to make a start on the test piece of mountain scenery. These next few pictures were taken over about a month.

Making a start

P1040746.JPG.c3d50bba430bd978e1fc9f8120fc781a.JPG

Edited by Nutbrook
  • Like 2

The mountain skeleton is made up from off cuts of 5mm mdf board that I left over from building the track bed. I used thin cardboard to make a template as its quite easy to cut or sellotape bits onto until it looks right. Then I placed the template on top of the mdf and drew around it, finally cut the mdf out with a jigsaw.

P1040747.JPG.b33fff1da8f71465f6967d53519b7edf.JPG

Edited by Nutbrook

After coating the cardboard with PVA glue ( it helps protect the card from the wet palster and also helps the plaster bond to the board) I then covered the cardboard with finishing plaster, roughed it up a bit etc

P1040756.JPG.ed793aea9f7eee1a955662ee316d82fe.JPG

Edited by Nutbrook
  • Like 2

Finally after painting ( must admit I painted this several times to get the right colour, first time was too brown) and adding a bit of greenary it looks like this of which Im fairly happy with.

P1040761.JPG.a5f9ea3c6eb70d17ea8e6a8424b29ab9.JPG

P1040763.JPG.09702cca6b7f624bbef8b838c1d178a0.JPG

Edited by Nutbrook
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, Frutigen said:

That looks very good, really impressive scale. Like you, I took a few goes to get the right colouring and I feel the best bits are where I finished by dry brushing various hints of colour. 

Cheers Keith, yes lots of dry brushing involved here as well. I bought a pack of acrylic paints, think there is 12 tubes of various colours from the Works shop for 3 quid, that did the job nicely.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/11/2021 at 15:27, Nutbrook said:

Finally after painting ( must admit I painted this several times to get the right colour, first time was too brown) and adding a bit of greenary it looks like this of which Im fairly happy with.

P1040761.JPG

P1040763.JPG

This looks really impressive in terms of how the line runs through the landscape. I like the height you’ve managed to get on this section. 

Looking forward to seeing how you’ve got on with the rest of the layout. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments guys. The height of the mountain side was something I wanted to create as it engulfs the train (as in real life) There's loads more to do as this was the first piece a just a tester really, but I'll crack on next week with phase 2 (of around 99). Meanwhile had a hour or so testing this evening, helps me unwind after a long day at work.

Steve..........

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Over the last two weeks I've been working (on and off) on phase two. Originally the plan was to have just the lower line in view with the upper line behind the scenery, but then I had a moment of madness and thought I could have the upper section pop out between tunnels. Thought it was a great idea until I started to do it, lot more work but I'm happy with the results, still more work to do on it but 90% complete on this section

P1040767.JPG.d85565bfb77d77a063858c40709c724b.JPG

Edited by Nutbrook
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Nutbrook said:

Over the last two weeks I've been working (on and off) on phase two. Originally the plan was to have just the lower line in view with the upper line behind the scenery, but then I had a moment of madness and thought I could have the upper section pop out between tunnels. Thought it was a great idea until I started to do it, lot more work but I'm happy with the results, still more work to do on it but 90% complete on this sectionP1040767.JPG.a10561892fdb46057c77a56c74e60f96.JPG

Looking good Steve. Glad to see you've got some corrugated card strips going on underneath the plaster!

Have you seen this Japanese RhB layout on YouTube?

It's got a similar 'epic' aesthetic to the way Nussbach is shaping up.

I found working on a small section at a time, like you are, is a good way of feeling like you're making progress.

• Like 3

Thanks for the comments Nigel and Ian, Thats a great clip Ian, nice models of the Brusio and Landwasser viaducts, wish I could create something as good as that (I have a thing for bridges I do)

Here's a clip from a testing session this morning, taken a vert shaky helicam

Edited by Nutbrook
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 4