Using Lenz LS150 with Railmaster

Oliver

• RMweb Gold

Not sure I understand what you are trying to do here. The LS150 requires connection to the DCC bus (for DCC commands) and also to an external power supply. This supply must be 16v AC at 3 amps. Full details are in the LS150 instruction booklet.

Is the Hornby R965 not an old DC trainset controller? 

The LS150 is operated by instructions over the DCC bus (track or accessory) from a DCC command station.  I think you should be able to operate the Lenz LS150 using Railmaster and whatever you DCC controller is (Hornby Elite?).

Are you suggesting using the Hornby R965 instead of the Lenz TR100, which is the recommended power supply for the LS150? 

I note that the Lenz LS150 manual (https://www.lenz-elektronik.de/pdf/b_11150_def.pdf) states that "AC voltage must be used for the power supply. Do not use a DC supply; this can damage the LS150".  It also states that "Max. voltage on AC input 16 V eff" and that "the power of the transformer used must not exceed 45VA in order to guarantee a functioning load protection."  I guess to answer your question, you need to look at the transformer that is supplying the input to your R965.  Some seem to be supplied with a transformer C912 (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-C912-wall-transformer-and-R965-speed-control-lot-1/224357479423?hash=item343cbf73ff:g:UvwAAOSw96ZcG8Gc) which is rated at just 13VA (so may not have enough power), but some seem to be supplied with an R964 (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-OO-Gauge-R965-Power-Controller-and-R964-Transformer/133664030633?hash=item1f1eff3fa9:g:f6wAAOSwER1gJ~YJ) which seems to be rated at 75VA (15V x 5A), which means you'd have no functioning load protection and therefore there may be a risk of damaging the LS150.

It's also worth checking what the actual voltage output of any supply you intend to use actually is when deviating from the manufacturer's recommended power supply, as some older transformers supply a higher than stated or poorly regulated voltage.

I therefore don't know whether you can use the transformer that came with your R965 as the external power supply for the Lenz LS150.

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

The R965 controller has a 16vAC aux output so likely suitable for the task.

The OP title mentions Railmaster so just power the LS150 up and pick it from the RM drop down list for programming.

The secondary output of the R965 is most unlikely to be 3 amps and therefore quite unsuitable for the LS150 if it's operating solenoid point motors. 

7 hours ago, RFS said:

The secondary output of the R965 is most unlikely to be 3 amps and therefore quite unsuitable for the LS150 if it's operating solenoid point motors. 

I have used it to power a CDU to fire solenoids before on the test bench.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RAF96 said:

I have used it to power a CDU to fire solenoids before on the test bench.

Powering a CDU and the LS150 are two entirely different environments. The LS150 is a DCC accessory decoder and you cannot use a CDU with that. The LS150 needs 3 amps input power and I very much doubt that the R965 supplies that. If you have one yourself you can no doubt check that.

My understanding is that the R965 doesn't actually have a transformer and therefore isn't the actual power supply.  It simply has a 16V AC input and it rectifies that to provide a variable 12V DC output to the track, plus there are terminals that allow the input power source to be passed straight through as 16V AC for 'accessories'.

What is more relevant is what is providing power to the R965.  If it's a C912, then that provides less than one Amp, whereas if it's an R964, that provides five Amps.  Neither are equivalent to the Lenz TR100, which is what the LS150 is supposed to be used with.  The C912 may not supply enough power to throw the solenoid, while there is a risk that the R964 would damage the LS150 if there were a short, as the current would exceed what the LS150 is designed to accommodate.

• Agree 1