Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

British Railway Modelling Awards 2020 - Voting begins

AY Mod

• Moderators

BRMA2020roundelsmall.png

Vote for your favourite models of 2020

A BRMA title is something which many of the manufacturers and retailers hope to pick up each year as recognition from the wider modelling community for their efforts. They don’t necessarily design or produce to win an award but it’s funny how many people are interested to see how they’ve performed when the results are due out and we even saw the logo and gold medal on a further issue of a manufacturer’s product during this year. 

All manufacturers who have released any ready-to-run products between the 1st January and the 31st December each year automatically have the products, and themselves, added to the voting list in the relevant categories for N, OO and O gauge locomotives and rolling stock. Following the nominations for innovations, retailers, layouts and modellers (thanks to all who took part in that stage) the voting is now open.

Once we’ve received your nominations, we draw up a shortlist of ten items from each category which will go forward to the vote in January.

This year’s entries are impacted to a degree by the impacts of Covid and shipping issues across the world but nonetheless there are many impressive products that have come to market. We have also taken out the Exhibition of the Year category since there were no exhibitions after March.

The poll is open until 3rd March 2020. When the voting is complete we check all the results and publish full results showing just how many people voted for every entry making the BRMA the most transparent and valued of awards when the results are announced at the end of the winter. The winners will be announced during our next virtual show on the weekend of 13/14 March.

Select your favourite item from each category, you do not have to vote in all categories. There is only one vote permitted per person.

Prize draw.

Draw prizes.jpg

Vote entrants can give their details to receive our regular World of Railways newsletters. TOne lucky entrant will win a choice of prize from a Bachmann Class 20/3, Bachmann 1532 Class 0-4-4T or a Graham Farish Class 31.

Click here to start voting.

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2

Firstly, Hornby Steam Punk has gotta be a joke entry, right? Did make me chuckle when I saw it against the other items in that category  :P

Secondly, I notice Rails of Sheffield are up for 2 manufacturing awards even though they out source all their manufacturing to other model railway companies...? 

• RMweb Gold

I too am both delighted and somewhat taken aback to find I have been  nominated. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Sausage hooves
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Secondly, I notice Rails of Sheffield are up for 2 manufacturing awards even though they out source all their manufacturing to other model railway companies...? 

Not really any different to Hornby then.

28 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

It was my understanding Hornby deal directly with their own factories, do they not?

As far as I'm aware all Rails products have been made by a third party - Dapol, Bachmann, Rapido etc 

Surely it all depends on how much work Rails themselves did and how much input they had?

If it's a case of just going to a manufacturer and saying "make me that" then I would agree.

However if they are doing things like research and design then they should be getting a credit. If you disagree then you can always vote for someone else...

Jason

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

It was my understanding Hornby deal directly with their own factories, do they not?

As far as I'm aware all Rails products have been made by a third party - Dapol, Bachmann, Rapido etc 

Hornby don't own any factories, judging by their annual reports, their products are manufactured by a third party ( formerly Sanda Kan, these days who knows)  fundamentally no different to Rails, other than financial scale and marketing budget.

Edited by spamcan61

• Moderators
1 hour ago, prtrainman said:

cut-off date quotes March 2020

I've corrected that but can only apologise for the email text which came from the office.

• Thanks 1

On 21/02/2021 at 11:07, Wayne Kinney said:

Wow, I didn't realise I had been nominated for the 'Innovation of the year for the BRM Awards', sweet!

Honoured! Many thanks!

As far as I m concerned what you are doing is a game changer,  finally breaking away from the RTP (ready to plonk) track geometry we have had for years.

Edited by cheesysmith
Stupid tablet spell checker
  • Like 1