Dapol Class 4300 Mogul Firebox Flicker Brightness

Flunter

Hi all,

Can anyone cleverer than me (that'll be most of you then) advise which CV I need to change to increase the brightness of the firebox flicker, I've done the usual search but struggling to find any info? The brightness level out-of-the-box is ridiculously low.

The model I have is the sound-fitted version (the sound is excellent BTW), fitted with a Zimo decoder.

On a separate note; are there any iTrain wizards on the forum? If so, where would I post questions, if at all? I am aware iTrain has its own forum.

TIA

• RMweb Gold

I just tried adjusting CV60 to a range of values from 40 to 255 (MX659). Makes no difference.

I think the decoder outputs are just turning the Dapol firebox "flicker" circuit on and off. (The "flicker" being a regular cycle between orange and yellow LEDs...)

The brightness problem is not electronic - it's more that the physical design doesn't work very well. And note that the recent update on the Dapol Manor describes "improved firebox flicker".

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, RobinofLoxley said:

Not what was seen on the review - my memory escapes me but it was a very well-known reviewer

I guess it might have been DC control in the review?

I'm just reporting what I observe on my model under DCC control.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

If the loco has a built-in flicker device that flickers with DC and you add a decoder with the output also set to flicker, this can lead to brightness problems.

Good point, thanks.

I just checked my model and one of the two outputs controlling the firebox (from the same Function key) was set to random flicker. Changed it to simple on/off. No discernible difference.

It would be great if there were a simple config tweak to make the firebox brighter but I fear that the only way to overcome the fundamental design problem is to modify the loco.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the replies.

I had my fears that the brightness would be factory set without any option to adjust. The loco I have is the DCC sound factory-fitted model, I really don't fancy messing with the decoder, not to mention the extra expense. Not having a firebox flicker is no big deal, but as it's there we should be able to see it.

Thank you also for the iTrain input, I'll pop over there and pose my question :good: