Seeking Dornoch station photographs

dibber25

I've got hooked on the Dornoch Light Railway but apart from a VERY thin little booklet I can't find much. I realise that this is the farthest, most inaccessible corner of mainland Scotland but I'm still surprised there isn't something a bit more thorough by way of a publication. In particular I'm seeking photographs of Dornoch station building. I have a modern view of the 'street' side but I could really use anything that shows the platform side before it was converted. Is there, perhaps, a drawing, or does Dornoch appear in one of the Middleton Press books? (CJL)

Ernies Archives - a treasure trove..

FARTHER NORTH LINE

And Historylinks Dornoch - it has a good selection.

https://www.historylinks.org.uk/

A laser cut kit of Dornoch station building is in preparation and will soon be available from Pop Up Designs as well.

Dornoch makes for a very attractive little layout - perhaps you should do the HR 0-4-4T next as a MR special....:rolleyes:

Edit - here is  a direct link to the railway photos.

https://www.historylinksarchive.org.uk/albums/railway

Edited by Ben Alder

"On Highland Lines" by Robert Robotham has 2 good colour photos of the station area, including 1 with 1646 and train.

The track layout seems to be very simple with 3 parallel tracks serving platform, run-round and the goods shed.

There also were at least 2 other tracks coming off the goods shed road at about 30 degrees then curving back to almost parallel the others.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Post-grouping photo:

https://chasewaterstuff.wordpress.com/2010/11/27/some-early-lines-the-dornoch-light-railway/#jp-carousel-4740

photo on eBay at the moment:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dornoch-Railway-Station-Photo-Embo-Skelbo-and-The-Mound-Line-Highland-Rly-5-/251893861232

NLS clip of the 'Last Run of the Dornoch Railway' - lovely bit of film but unfortunately (annoyingly!) doesn't show much of the station building:

https://movingimage.nls.uk/film/5418

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jim49 said:

"On Highland Lines" by Robert Robotham has 2 good colour photos of the station area, including 1 with 1646 and train.

The track layout seems to be very simple with 3 parallel tracks serving platform, run-round and the goods shed.

There also were at least 2 other tracks coming off the goods shed road at about 30 degrees then curving back to almost parallel the others.

Jim

dornoch2.jpg.40c21ad85ff21ca05d10ace250dab6cc.jpg

OS 1906 25-inch map at NLS

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, keefer said:

lovely bit of film but unfortunately (annoyingly!) doesn't show much of the station building:

Very true - the station buildings platform face seems almost unrecorded. Iain, who draws up the Pop Up and 3D  buildings, and myself have been trawling the internet without success to get a clear view of this. However, with a bit of supposition he has got what will pass muster.If anyone can lay their hands on such a photo it would be very helpful.

'Scottish Branch Lines'  by C J Gammell (OPC, 1999) contains a 1959 photo by the author of the station building on page 12.  It's a three-quarter view with the goods yard in the foreground and the station building towards the back.

A highly recommended book which seems to be readily available second hand at modest cost.

Nick.

Edited by Wuggie Norple
typo

Thanks, everyone. There's some really useful pictures there. Is the building material what the Americans would call board and batten or is it a strange style of metal cladding? Many thanks for all the help so far. Looks like we aren't going to find a clear view into that alcove on the platform side. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, dibber25 said:

Thanks, everyone. There's some really useful pictures there. Is the building material what the Americans would call board and batten or is it a strange style of metal cladding? Many thanks for all the help so far. Looks like we aren't going to find a clear view into that alcove on the platform side. (CJL)

You planning a small layout using MR’s recently released 16xx 0-6-0PT Chris? :locomotive:

42 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

You planning a small layout using MR’s recently released 16xx 0-6-0PT Chris? :locomotive:

I'm thinking of it but I've no space left so something has to go and I really don't want to break up any of the layouts/dioramas I've built. I've just bought myself 1646 - I already have five of the others - only two of which are actually mine. The rest are pre-production samples and belong in the Model Rail store cupboard if we're ever allowed back to our office. Might just build that lovely little station building for now. (CJL)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

I'm thinking of it but I've no space left so something has to go and I really don't want to break up any of the layouts/dioramas I've built. I've just bought myself 1646 - I already have five of the others - only two of which are actually mine. The rest are pre-production samples and belong in the Model Rail store cupboard if we're ever allowed back to our office. Might just build that lovely little station building for now. (CJL)

Good to know but it is a slippery slope, before you know it an engine with mixed train will have been sourced and a yard of finescale EM track ..... and board and batten  everywhere  The pop up building will be a great start if others in the range are anything to go by - having built all of the N range.

I have just acquired 14 colour slides of the Dornoch branch primarily at The Mound end but this one might be of some use. They will be uploaded to Ernies Railway Archive , Far North Album in due course. Enlarged the building and goods shed view 

HR 1959-09-01 dt3'14 Dornoch station.jpg

HR 1959-09-01 dt3'14 Dornoch goods shed .jpg

HR 1959-09-01 dt3'14 Dornoch station building.jpg

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

The 4543 is what I use  - there is a wooden sheet by N E Scale Models in the USA  but I'm not sure if it is imported here. The Evergreen is great to work with though. Pop Up  Designs are shortly to prepare a kit of the station building for release - their kits are a bit basic by some standards but make up in  to very nice models with a bit of work. Here is a link to their existing range - the Dornoch one will be sooner rather than later...

https://www.popupdesigns.co.uk/product-category/railway-scale-models/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, dibber25 said:

I shall be in the market for one of those as soon as they are available. Many thanks. (CJL)

I really hope you enjoy the build and I look forward to  seeing how you develop it - I still have articles on Black dog Halt- which was about 4 miles from my childhood haunts ! And a sole pic of TYB bridge and car under it - now one of adult haunts...

Robert