SNCF 141R’s running beside DB 2-10-0’s

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I’m not sure to put this in the French Railway or German, but I have a friend who’s modelling the SNCF on the French/German border in the 1960’s.  He has a collection of 141R’s as well as other SNCF loco’s but he wants to get several DB 2-10-0’s to add to his collection.

Were there many locations on the border where 141R’s and DB’s 2-10-0’s could be seen side by side, interchanging their trains on a daily basis.

He’s really keen on 141R’s and I’ve suggested he join RMWeb but he’s not very computer savvy so any help would be useful.

Edited by jools1959

SNCF had some ex-“Kriegloks” after WW2 - classes 150X (239 engines), 150Y (42 engines) and 150Z (36 engines), I believe.

Unless your friend specifically wants DB engines, he could look into where these classes ran in France. (If he does, I hope he has better luck than I have had.)

(Edit to add - there are HO scale models of all of these classes.)

Edited by pH
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

France to Germany crossings are relatively rare despite a long shared border today.  I would have thought the most likely places for direct interface of DB 2-10-0s and 141 Rs would have been in the Saarbrucken, Sarreguemines,  Forbach area.  

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, pH said:

SNCF had some ex-“Kriegloks” after WW2 - classes 150X (239 engines), 150Y (42 engines) and 150Z (36 engines), I believe.

Unless your friend specifically wants DB engines, he could look into where these classes ran in France. (If he does, I hope he has better luck than I have had.)

I thought the SNCF “Kriegloks” had largely been withdrawn by the late 50’s, replaced by 141R’s.  I suppose Forbach near Saarbrucken or somewhere like that would be a ideal starting point.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

France to Germany crossings are relatively rare despite a long shared border today.  I would have thought the most likely places for direct interface of DB 2-10-0s and 141 Rs would have been in the Saarbrucken, Sarreguemines,  Forbach area.  

You beat me to it ;)

2 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I thought the SNCF “Kriegloks” had largely been withdrawn by the late 50’s, replaced by 141R’s.  I suppose Forbach near Saarbrucken or somewhere like that would be a ideal starting point.

This https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SNCF_classes says there were 150Xs around till 1965. (Doesn’t say how many.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pH said:

Only the SNCF 150Y were German class 52 (Kriegslok). The 150x were DRG class 44. The 150Z were DRG class 50 - the latter both DRG 'einheitslokomotiven' - the standard 1920s Reichsbahn builds.

In any case, that is all irrelevant as the question is about DB 2-10-0s, and yes they visited French border crossings, but did not necessarily come side by side with 141Rs.

Sarreguemines 141Rs ran to Saarbrücken (and DB class 23 the other way) into the early 1970s. Also in the early 70s DB 2-10-0s reached Hargarten and Apach, but tended to meet with SNCF electrics  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Sarreguemines became one of the last outposts of working 141Rs - I remember an article in Railway World (or Magazine) about a trip there entitled “in search of the last 141R” from the early ‘seventies (Keith Taylorson).  As noted, the proximity to Saarbrucken gives a connection to classes 23 and 50 based there.  (Saarbrucken was the place where I last saw real steam in West Germany).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I just had a peek on Flickr at Sarreguemines railway and loads of great pictures of 141R’s both in service and withdrawn as well as 140C’s and 030TU’s.  There’s pictures of DB Class 23’s on passenger duties running both normally and tender first though I couldn’t find any of DB’s 2-10-0’s.  I will keep on searching.

• Like 1

• TravisM changed the title to SNCF 141R’s running beside DB 2-10-0’s

There was an Eisenbahn Kurier special on the Saar issued in 2007 (no. 86).  Perhaps unsurprisingly it concentrates on DB locomotives and stock in West Germany, but does include a 1965 picture of a 141R at Saarbrucken Hbf, having arrived from Sarreguemines with a passenger service.

Edited by EddieB
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1