Hornby Stanier 8F and Kadees

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have any experience of or suggestions for installing working Kadees on the Hornby 8F. I have a nice model with DCC sound installed but unless I can get some Kadees on it it will be a shelf queen...or even worse...sold...

If I was just using it for single ended shunting I could use a brake van as a "go-between" but I'd like to use it for shunting, running round etc.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Can you advise what type of Kadees you are using, #18 through #20, or a variation on the #5, do you have the Kadee height gauge? What is the condition of the Hornby 8F, I presume that it does not have an NEM pocket?

A lot of questions, but it would help in what to propose for the 8F, I have modified quite a number of locos to suit Kadee couplers, but it all depends on how much you may be prepared to modify the 8F. If you haven't already I would strongly suggest getting the height gauge.

Regards,

Tom D

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Tom D said:

Hi Chris,

Can you advise what type of Kadees you are using, #18 through #20, or a variation on the #5, do you have the Kadee height gauge? What is the condition of the Hornby 8F, I presume that it does not have an NEM pocket?

A lot of questions, but it would help in what to propose for the 8F, I have modified quite a number of locos to suit Kadee couplers, but it all depends on how much you may be prepared to modify the 8F. If you haven't already I would strongly suggest getting the height gauge.

Regards,

Tom D

I'll use any Kadee I can - I have the full range in my stash and a couple of height gauges and I'm not constrained to #17-20s. I thought I could sort it but is "difficult" to be honest. No NEMs - its a very old design and I am prepared to modify if necessary - its not much use to me as it is frankly.

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

It has a screwed on front coupling and the Airfix style mount on the tender - Kadees can be fitted by adopting NEM types as shown in this article

Thanks - I will have a look but everything looked very tight......

I am not sure if you are familiar with the NEM converters, and whether it would suit your application; 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P7v09_Vohs

If you have the full range of Kadee's, then it becomes a question of modifying the 8F in the tight space, to suit one of the Kadees. Another option I have used is the Hornby NEM adapter X6354, and just adding styrene to support the pocket.

Best regards,

Tom D

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

It has a screwed on front coupling and the Airfix style mount on the tender - Kadees can be fitted by adopting NEM types as shown in this article

Thanks - the cut off NEM was a good call.

I've had a go and although not layout-tested yet this looks like it might work.

As its good to see when people have actually found a post useful I offer some photos:

Front has a 20 fitted to the top of the bogie using the existing hole with the nem legs gently filed to creat a recess for the screw plus a smaller screw to provide a firm fixing. After I'd fitted it to the loco I realised the bogie has a bit of give built in so I may go for a fitting slightly  further back.

50962403077_65717ee9bf_z.jpg

50962403252_961f251180_z.jpg

The tender has a cut off #20 fitted to the existing housing.

50962403152_750a274467_z.jpg

50962403197_56099a487d_z.jpg

and a quick test on a magnet

50962403337_f45b3853b3_c.jpg

• Like 1