Mersey Railway Beyer Peacock prairie drawings

Penrhos1920

I’m looking for a good drawing of the Mersey Railway Beyer Peacock prairies.  I already have drawings from Railway Archive vol.5 and GW Absorbed Engines by Russell.  What I really need is a plan view.

Mersey Railway numbers were 10 - 15.  Later they were bought by the ADR, no’s. 6 - 11 and then became GWR with random no’s between 1201 - 1211.

Thanks

Edited by Penrhos1920
Corrected my poor spelling/typing

I would check that date. I have a feeling it's the same drawing. I do recall that book did have a few errors in it.

It was a bookazine that MRC did a few years back with a list of all the drawings in MRC, MRN and RM.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Model-Railway-Constructor-Special-Reference/dp/0711015252

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Are you reading over my shoulder?  I was looking at the Absorbed book, and thinking I ought to start collecting bits & bobs for the A&D prairies.  Whilst we're on the subject, 1205 & 1206 have a touch of the 'jinty' about them.  At least, I think so...

Cheers,

Ian.

14 hours ago, stewartingram said:

I have the July 1978 copy in front of me.

It quotes the April 1975 issue for GWR3901 2-6-2T

Also Railway World March & April issues for a detailed account of the Mersey fleet.

The July 1976 drawing is for MR 16, 17, 18.

Stewart

Do you mean that the July 1978 drawing is for MR 16, 17, 18?  As that’s the drawing I’ve also got.  A quick look at July 76 available on eBay suggests that there was no Mersey drawing or article in that edition.

1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

Are you reading over my shoulder?  I was looking at the Absorbed book, and thinking I ought to start collecting bits & bobs for the A&D prairies.  Whilst we're on the subject, 1205 & 1206 have a touch of the 'jinty' about them.  At least, I think so...

Cheers,

Ian.

To me it looks like you’re the one who’s looking over my shoulder.  I’ve already started models of the Kitson prairie and 36 (aka 1205).  I had hoped to be well on the way with the Beyer prairies (only building 4 of them!) but the Railway Archive drawing isn’t particularly good and the GWR weight diagram is just that and not detailed enough.

• Like 1

• Penrhos1920 changed the title to Mersey Railway Beyer Peacock prairie drawings
  • RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Penrhos1920 said:

To me it looks like you’re the one who’s looking over my shoulder.  I’ve already started models of the Kitson prairie and 36 (aka 1205).  I had hoped to be well on the way with the Beyer prairies (only building 4 of them!) but the Railway Archive drawing isn’t particularly good and the GWR weight diagram is just that and not detailed enough.

Nice. I  intended to scratchbuild  No 36, but I haven't started yet.  It does look as though I'll be looking over your shoulder instead.

Cheers,

Ian.

5 hours ago, Penrhos1920 said:

Do you mean that the July 1978 drawing is for MR 16, 17, 18?  As that’s the drawing I’ve also got.  A quick look at July 76 available on eBay suggests that there was no Mersey drawing or article in that edition.

Definitely July 78, I've just looked again. Also July 76 Has nothing relevant. Original post corrected.

Edited by stewartingram

• RMweb Gold

1205 lasted until the early 50s, doing duty as shed pilot at Llantrisant and Canton.  Locos to the same design were being built concurrent with this for one of the Australian NSW coalfield railways, can't recall which.  I've always thought that a 45xx mech could be used as the basis for building a model.

Edited by The Johnster

6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

1205 lasted until the early 50s, doing duty as shed pilot at Llantrisant and Canton.  Locos to the same design were being built concurrent with this for one of the Australian NSW coalfield railways, can't recall which.  I've always thought that a 45xx mech could be used as the basis for building a model.

1205 and 1206 weren't Mersey Railway though, Hawthorn Leslies according to this. My RCTS book is put away so can't have a look.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locomotives_of_the_Great_Western_Railway#Alexandra_(Newport_and_South_Wales)_Docks_and_Railway

As electrification progressed, the old rolling stock was advertised for sale. An attempt to sell the 18 locomotives and 96 carriages by auction in June 1903 proved unsuccessful – the auctioneer had to remind the bidders that he was not selling scrap. It was September before the first locomotive was sold; it would take another two years to sell all-bar-one of the locomotives. The last locomotive — which had been retained for working permanent way trains — was sold in January 1908

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersey_Railway#Rolling_stock

There were also drawings for the coaches if anyone is interested.

Driving Third Coach              MRN 8/65

Trailing Coach                        MRN 9/65

Coach Bogies                         MRN 1/66

Edited by Steamport Southport

• 2 weeks later...

I've been in touch with the Science and Industry Museum who have the Beyer Peacock drawings.  I've bought from them a copy of the GA: SSPL_10663045_preview.jpg

Next question.  Every photo I seen of these locos is either a full side view or 3/4 front/side view.  Has anyone seen a view that shows the rear?

• Like 1