Your favourite heritage railway stations

papagolfjuliet

• RMweb Gold

Just curious. My suggestions are:

Grosmont (NYMR)

Very crowded in peak season, but catch it on an off peak running day especially in cold weather and it is lovely. With the village Co-op by the crossing, and a main line platform, it still feels like a proper old fashioned railway junction at the heart of a community. Decent bacon butties too.

Kemsley Down (S&KLR)

Tight curves, higgledy piggledy buildings crowded together, cut down standard gauge signals, lots of sidings packed with stock. It's like being inside a 1970s OO9 rabbit warren layout. Charming.

Horsted Keynes

The perfect Edwardian main line station in the middle of nowhere. Atmospherically it is second to none, and besides which there's the carriage shop.

Andrew's House (Tanfield) and Wittersham Road (KESR)

At almost the opposite ends of England, these two are the epitomes of the light railway station.

Porthmadog Harbour (Ff&WHR)

Very much tourist-oriented but none the worse for that. The views from the Cob in both directions are among the best in Britain, Spooner's is excellent, and on a busy day with trains arriving from both ends there is always something to see.

Your thoughts?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I do love Goathland for the accuracy to how it was. the quiet apart from the stream and then the sound of a train climbing the bank. Lots of very good memories from days and nights there and meeting my now wife at a 40th birthday bash at the Goathland with a 'Yorkshire' buffet. . 

I also love Bridgnorth, especially when disposal is finished and I can buy my fireman a good pint of beer and put the world to rights. Hope we get to do it all again soon.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Levisham is pretty special, so too for me is Arley on the SVR, for branch line charm, but so too Rothley, lots of happy memories watching the trains and drinking tea on the platform from the little cafe there.IMG_20190908_132512319.jpg.310bbdf2f5ca2e3b93c6209776f2756b.jpg

Looking forward to seeing these gems again...

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Ah, what a good idea for a topic.

In no perticular order.

Oakworth: Has to be said if your looking for a station and goods yard that has stood the test of time and love all things Midland through and through. I could quite happily sit on the bench in all weathers watching the world go by.

Weybourne: Having done many platform turns at Weybourne station, I do end up foregetting about many of the worlds probelms when volunteering at Weyboourne.

Berwyn: Given it's location, there can't be many preserved station that hang over a viaduct while shosehorned between a Road and a river. Engineering at it's best.

DSC00434.JPG

DSC03030.JPG

DSC03086.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 19/02/2021 at 20:03, papagolfjuliet said:

Horsted Keynes

Atmospherically it is second to none

Your thoughts?

Kingscote has a lot of charm but HK has sausage, chips and beans....!

I'm a big fan of Medstead and Four Marks - a sleepy passing place on the Mid Hants. A favourite spot for a sit down and a cup of tea when cycling out from Basingstoke.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

I rather like Quainton Road. Visiting with my kids on a glorious summer's day we got ice creams and ate them on benches facing the single NR line, away from the crowds, imagining what it used to be like. And as well as the other attractions, such as Rewley Road station, one day it will be possible to walk across and watch trains passing on HS2 !

PS all the stations mentioned above are wonderful too and a great credit to railway preservation. 

• Like 2

Arley for me. Had many a picnic in the lovely gardens on the far side of the station watching the trains come and go. No better way to spend a pleasant summers day. Staff are very nice  and friendly too even if we don’t catch a train.

Missing it badly at the moment.

• Like 2

Living locally, spending one day a week working at Holt Station on the model railway and spending many hour walking the dogs in the woods behind Weybourne Station, followed by time sitting on the platform drinking coffee and sharing a biscuit with the dogs, Weybourne has my vote. Hopefully the station can open this year

P1050233.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, PaulG said:

Living locally, spending one day a week working at Holt Station on the model railway and spending many hour walking the dogs in the woods behind Weybourne Station, followed by time sitting on the platform drinking coffee and sharing a biscuit with the dogs, Weybourne has my vote. Hopefully the station can open this year

P1050233.JPG

Just come back from a walk over the heath , track looks so rusty as if track lifting gangs are imminent! 

I remember in the early eighties actually walking on the trackbed before it was relaid 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A couple already mentioned:

Swanage on a sunny day, heading for the beach.

Loughborough, with a proper busy atmosphere.

Staverton is lovely, and very peaceful between trains. By chance one of my visits coincided with a beer and cider festival in the goods shed, which was rather splendid,

Edit - here is Staverton in 2015.

IMG_1859.JPG.83db5c2b9ee763ba511a212169b5836f.JPG

Looking south towards Totnes, 12/9/2015

IMG_4155.JPG.6a83dd2122138651f4efd8c7b5121ebd.JPG

Swanage 7/7/2011

IMG_0200.JPG.277b06800e6a95b1a2abe78d1aea907c.JPG

Loughborough 17/6/2018

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
Additional photo
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, enginelane said:

Goathland but Levisham on a summer day when the station flowers are in full bloom take some beating 

I have a very soft spot for Newtondale Halt too. Flagging down an A4 or 9F in the middle of nowhere is an experience which takes some beating.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I've always like Tenterden on the Kent and East Sussex Railway and Hampton Loade on the Severn Valley Railway.

Fairly locally I'd go for Causey Arch, on the Tanfield Railway.  A single grass platform with a short siding, surrounded by trees and only a few yards from the very steep sided valley crossed by the Causey Arch, which was the original route of the railway back in 1725.

1647616316_BSC_0360CauseyArchStation30May16.jpg.65234b392510cdc8a4467c03ee1ad746.jpg

Causey Arch Station 30May16.jpg

187139104_CauseyArchTanfieldRailwayTwizell8thSept2013.jpg.e0c32f72ca762596da7c8f7ea59587e4.jpg

Causey Arch Tanfield Railway Twizell 8th Sept 2013.jpg

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1

• Moderators

Highley (SVR)

Standing on the footbridge or the Engine House balcony.

An empty station on a still autumn day of golden and rusty leaves !eaves with not a train in sight, there's no need to prepare the camera yet so a few minutes of mindfulness pleases the soul. After leaving Arley the whistle of a down train echoes around the valley for seconds, not even a songbird to disturb the peace.

I could spend hours there and I wouldn't care if there wasn't a train for a couple of hours yet.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1