Colourlights sequencing

russ p

• RMweb Gold

I'm planning a small colourlight installation on on my layout. 

In one direction there will be three consecutive signals , a two aspect followed by two three aspect ones or the two aspect followed by three aspects on two lines exiting the yard

Am I right i thinking by using 4 pole switches it can be possible that when the rear one is cleared it will only show green if the one in advance is showing a proceed aspect if not its shows yellow 

Thanks 

Russ

I don't think you need four-pole switches.     I think this works, with double pole switches.   There is sometimes a need to have a switch for a red/green off-stage, so the last red/yellow/green can display aspects correctly.   It can be extended to any number of 3-aspect signals.   

Diagram omits the common +v into each light, and any resistors needed for LEDs.     Double pole, double-throw switch below each signal, with "up"  = Red/Stop, and "down" = Proceed.   The proceed aspect is set by the next switch to the right, being either yellow or green.   

1181150175_Screenshot2021-02-20133438.png.620e39ac4a51dc39958bef50df3a99be.png

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, RAF96 said:

Or you could use Train-Tech sensor signals, which self time out in sequence after a train has passed.

Cheers,  their signals look too modern for my layout unfortunately 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

I don't think you need four-pole switches.     I think this works, with double pole switches.   There is sometimes a need to have a switch for a red/green off-stage, so the last red/yellow/green can display aspects correctly.   It can be extended to any number of 3-aspect signals.   

Diagram omits the common +v into each light, and any resistors needed for LEDs.     Double pole, double-throw switch below each signal, with "up"  = Red/Stop, and "down" = Proceed.   The proceed aspect is set by the next switch to the right, being either yellow or green.   

Thank you for that Nigel,  thats  exactly what I want didnt realise it was so simple

42 minutes ago, russ p said:

Thank you for that Nigel,  thats  exactly what I want didnt realise it was so simple

:)     Not hard when you reduce the problem to "stop/proceed" and then push the "what sort of proceed: yellow or green" to the next switch.  

How you label the switches is down to personal preference.   I've drawn them below the signals, so they're directly controlling the stop/proceed of the signal above the switches.   But, they could be labelled as "block clear / block occupied" and visually moved right to the track protected by each signal.    Does exactly the same thing, just how the panel is labelled, which is down to how one thinks about operating.   

There are some electronic solutions which link to block occupancy detectors (MERG have some in kit form which can handle quite complex arrangements).  But most don't want to go that far, or if they do, it can be more flexible to move the signalling control inside a computer.  

- Nigel

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

:)     Not hard when you reduce the problem to "stop/proceed" and then push the "what sort of proceed: yellow or green" to the next switch.  

How you label the switches is down to personal preference.   I've drawn them below the signals, so they're directly controlling the stop/proceed of the signal above the switches.   But, they could be labelled as "block clear / block occupied" and visually moved right to the track protected by each signal.    Does exactly the same thing, just how the panel is labelled, which is down to how one thinks about operating.   

There are some electronic solutions which link to block occupancy detectors (MERG have some in kit form which can handle quite complex arrangements).  But most don't want to go that far, or if they do, it can be more flexible to move the signalling control inside a computer.  

- Nigel

Cheers again Nigel,  I'm not going to link the signals to the track as most of the layout will just be signalled with posable ratio semaphores . 

I'm hoping to make some videos when the layout is finished and don't want the on train videos to be having multiple SPADs so I just want a few colourlights that work.

There will be six main signals and 12 ground position light

If you look on my latest pictures on my layout thread the colourlight area is in the yard underneath the windows 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 20/02/2021 at 13:42, Nigelcliffe said:

I eventually got round to wiring the colourlights and this was perfect as I was using four pole switches I could also have the signals on merging routes sequencing too

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, dave55uk said:

Can I just say, in relation to the diagram by Nigelcliffe, that IRL you would not have a green signal followed by a red, as in the case of the first two signals on the left.

The rest of it is fine, the signals just have a two position rotary switches and show a proceed aspect relevant to the next signal

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, dave55uk said:

Can I just say, in relation to the diagram by Nigelcliffe, that IRL you would not have a green signal followed by a red, as in the case of the first two signals on the left.

The green on the left hand signal should require the second signal at yellow or green. To do this the aspect could be wired via the top contact of the upper arm of the second switch.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

The green on the left hand signal should require the second signal at yellow or green. To do this the aspect could be wired via the top contact of the upper arm of the second switch.

I just used the diagram for the principles my system works as it should 

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I just used the diagram for the principles my system works as it should 

• Like 1