Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Just heard the sad news that Geoff Endacott of the Bentley sadly passed away unexpectedly yesterday from a heart attack. Geoff was a key figure behind the Calne and Trainwest model railway shows and will be sadly missed.

Sad news Rob

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Very sad and surprising news, Geoff gave Dagworth its first exhibition at Trainwest for which I have always been very grateful. 

Thoughts are with his family, friends and clubmates.

He will be much missed.

Andi

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear this, Enjoyed exhibiting and going to the shows and was in communication with Geoff only in the last couple of weeks about Calne this year. Geoff as ever was preparing to put on a good show if the crisis allowed and was straight up about doing it with as little risk as possible to the club. Thanks to enjoying so many shows organised by him we were up for helping avoiding the big costs by avoiding staying over to help get the shows going again without too much stress. 
Thanks Geoff a great contribution to the hobby over many years and Neal we will still be available if and when it goes ahead. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am shocked and saddened at this news. I have known Geoff for a very long time - thinking back I believe we first met in 1987, at a transport convention at Avebury in Wiltshire. Cars and buses in the grounds, models in a marquee where his club was displaying an OO layout. I recall that the front cover of his forthcoming book, 'Westerns, Warships & Hymeks at Work', was on display, which was guaranteed to grab my attention. We got chatting and found we had this common interest. The book was published in 1988 and provided a level of detail rarely seen on the subject at the time. In spring 1995 I took my layout 'Halvarras' to his house in Chippenham to obtain some photos to publicise one of his exhibitions, they appeared in 'RAIL' 257 (July/August 1995). I exhibited my layout at several of his shows over the years and rarely missed any of his Calne and TrainWest events. No doubt I'd still be a regular if I hadn't moved 200 miles South-West a year ago, so the last time we met was at TrainWest 2019, just a couple of weeks after I'd retired.

So sorry to hear this, my thoughts are with his family, friends and club members. RIP Geoff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I'm lucky to have known Geoff for the last 20 years. He was a great man, who was very approachable in all matters and always happy to help. He was also a mastermind on many subjects, especially with regards to Western diesel hydraulics, authoring a book on the subject, "Westerns, Warships and Hymeks at Work."

Geoff was the impetus in the starting the Bently Model Railway Group whilst at the school from which the club derives its name. Over the last couple of decades he's been at the helm of the club's flagship show, Trainwest; A show which is very highly regarded amongst the model railway community.

He leaves a big hole in both the BMRG and model railway community.

All the best,

Jack

• Like 8

Very sad news.

I met Geoff a few times and attended Train West in 2019 with my layout. He was a huge driving force behind the show and will be sorely missed.

My condolences to his family.

Edited by Al.

Hello

Very sad news indeed. I had known Geoff for a number of years going back to the Chippenham era. I remember he was very understanding whjen I had to pull out of the show once and ended up in hospital. He phoned me up there and said ' don't worry George it's only a mopdel train show, lifer's more important than that'. RIP old friend.

Cheers

George

• Friendly/supportive 3