Bachmann 94xx Decoder running

mjcbasingstoke

I just fitted a decoder to my Bachmann 94xx and I have to say the running awful. At step 1 on the controller (Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance) the loco shoots off as speed. I tried adjusting the basic CVs but cannot get any change. After watching a Youtube clip on the 94xx it would appear that this loco is fitted with a coreless motor. I am led to believe that the coreless motor is difficult to program to get reasonable running. I have fitted a LaisDCC decoder which I have had good results previously. I don't know if anyone else has encountered similar problems and if so have they managed to overcome the problem.

Ran my BR E/Cr 94xx in on DC then fitted a Bachmann 36-567 which I believe to be Zimo derived.

Have to say it runs like a dream and crawls more than slow enough for me.

If yours if fine on DC I can only suggest trying a Bachmann 36-567.

• 2 weeks later...

For these motors then I suggest you edit the mid and high end voltages a value 0f 100 high and 50 mid will slow things down and you can reduce from there if required.  I have  a number of older tender driven machines which have very high gearing and this adjustment brings them down to scale speeds..

Joe

Edited by JWRStation
spelling

What decoder have you used? 

I just had a similar thing with an EFE J94. First fitted a Guagemaster chip and it ran terribly. Replaced with a zimo chip and it runs like a dream now. The zimo also has dedicated settings for coreless motors.

Hi

Thank you all for your responses. Changed the LiasDcc chip for a Gaugemaster and there was a marked difference but the slow speed was still pretty poor. I will now try the Bachmann decoder as at least one of you managed to get it running at low speed!!

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

Purchased a fantastic looking weathered loco from TMC, installed a ESU Loksound v5 decoder from Wheeltappers, sounds fantastic but can not get this to run smooth. Got smooth running at speed step 1 but when running mid speed it speeds up and slows down. Adjusted to stop this and now runs awful at slow speed. Really frustrating, spent a lot of time trying different setting with no real luck. Used pre set settings for coreless motor which made it run just as bad as factory setting. Will keep playing see if I can sort it 

• Informative/Useful 1